Jul 29, 2011, 6:21 PM EDT
It’s just another ho-hum Friday in Eagles-ville, and OH MY GOD THEY JUST
SIGNED NNAMDI ASOMUGHA. Adam Schefter and Les Bowen report the All Pro
cornerback and number one free agent on the market has agreed to a
five-year contract with the Birds, suddenly giving them one of the
deepest, most talent-laden secondaries in the NFL.
Schefter reports the deal is worth $60 million, $25 guaranteed.
The move comes as a major, MAJOR surprise given the team only yesterday traded for
Pro Bowl corner Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, who everybody expected to
take over the starting job opposite Asante Samuel. Now he’s the
third best corner on the team.
So what made the front office show
interest in Asomugha this late in the game, after deals had already
fallen apart with several other clubs throughout the week?
It’s really difficult to pinpoint at the moment, but it is interesting
that the Eagles moved as rumors pinned Dallas as closing in on Nnamdi.
It’s also possible they saw an opportunity in the marketplace, as the
Jets, Texans, 49ers, and Buccaneers were all linked to Asomugha at one
time or another, with none coming away with the prize.
But the Birds did, swooping in when we least expected it.
We have some other theories on how and why this came to pass, but what do you folks think? Would you say the Eagles are going for it?
UPDATE: Though speculation is heating up that Asante Samuel could be the odd man out in the new Eagles secondary, the Inquirer’s Jeff McLane is reporting that, according to a league source, the team may be intent to keep all three corners for the 2011 season unless approached with a “fantastic” trade offer.
Still, given the sizable market for Asomugha before the Birds made their move, it isn’t unthinkable that one of those clubs might take a serious interest in the Eagles suddenly crowded CB corps. Plus, the idea that the Eagles may be so inclined to keep Samuel, DRC and Asomugha could just be a ploy to increase the value of what they hope to receive in an upcoming swap.
That said, if McLane is right, and the Eagles do stand pat, how soon until somebody decides to market one of those “Asante & Dominique & Nnamdi” t-shirts in a kelly green? –Nick
UPDATE 2: Adam Schefter tweeting that Vince Young to the Eagles is now official for one year and “up to $5.5 million.” More tomorrow. What a ridiculous day.
|yishmeister on 2014 Philadelphia Eagles sched…|
|コーチ アウトレット 正規品 on A Comprehensive Guide to the B…|
|puckstopper27 on Nick Young throws out Phillies…|
|sfsu on Snapshots: Flyers draw even in…|
- DeSean Jackson releases statement, denies any gang ties
- Swaggy uPdates: Nick Young gets in a hold-me-back fight, has sneakers stolen, and celebrates a missed 3
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- St. Joe's Ron Roberts is in the dunk contest tonight; we collected his most awesome YouTube clips
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money