Mar 18, 2013, 8:10 PM EDT
In a statement released via email tonight during halftime of the 76ers game against the Portland Trailblazers in South Philadelphia, the team announced that center Andrew Bynum will not play a single game this season.
His knee issues have kept him off the court the entire season and update after update over the past few months made things look bleaker by the day. He had said on March 1st that he did not want to have to play through pain.
Now we know. He will not play for the Sixers this season. Maybe ever.
Bynum will opt to have season-ending surgery on Tuesday to clean out remaining debris in both knees. Yahoo!’s Adrian Wojnarowski first tweeted the news.
The team’s full statement:
many months of rehabilitation and consulting with numerous doctors,
Andrew and the doctors treating him determined that this is the best
course of action at this point,” Sixers General Manager Tony DiLeo said.
“We will continue to monitor and evaluate his status moving forward.”
arthroscopic surgery will be performed by Dr. David Altchek of the
of Special Surgery in New York. The primary focus of the procedure is
to clean out loose bodies from within the knees in an attempt to
alleviate pain and swelling.
The team will provide an update when appropriate following the procedure.
Scientists are still working on growing cartilage in petri dishes.
The Sixers gave up Andre Iguodala, Nik Vucecik, Moe Harkless and a pick for the former Laker bigman touted as one of the top centers in the game. Remember that circus of a “Welcome to Philly” press conference at the Constitution Center last summer? All for naught.
We all thought it was a franchise-changing trade. It may still be that but certainly not in the positive way we had hoped.
Bynum played zero minutes for the Sixers this season and there’s a very good chance that number will never change.
This news is certainly not surprising for anyone who watches this basketball team closely, but the fact that what we all saw coming has turned into a reality doesn’t make it any easier to swallow.
What do they do now?
|2sentz on Matchday: Eagles linemen get y…|
|Mike on Jayson Stark on Larry Bowa, th…|
|Jason R. on Matchday: Eagles linemen get y…|
|bt on Matchday: Eagles linemen get y…|
- New clips reveal Outkast’s Andre 3000 as Jimi Hendrix in All Is By My Side’
- Crumbling and stumbling: L&I says it doesn't know how many buildings have collapsed in Philly
- ▶ PhillyTawk: The Phluphian Dialect - YouTube
- San Francisco Mint Says Rare 1800s Gold Coins Have No Link To Thefts « CBS San Francisco
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return