Aug 29, 2011, 1:44 PM EST
When Hunter Pence came over from the Houston Astros, he brought along some sweet high pants and stirrups to go with his hustle and awkward style of play.
The Inquirer’s Michael Vitez made the wise decision to take Pence’s pants as a cue to investigate the high-sock/no-sock presence on the Phillies club. It’s an enlightening read, sharing that some players like Roy Oswalt wear the high socks because the old school vibe mimics his game. Ryan Howard wears long pants for comfort. Not surprisingly, Jimmy Rollins wants to look good on the diamond.
But one of my favorite parts was when Vitez touches on the old Phillies stirrups that featured the Liberty Bell on them. ESPN uniform expert Paul Lukas says that one former Phillie rocked said stirrup in the most iconic baseball fashion possible known as “blousing.”
From the Inquirer piece:
Furthermore, Lukas says, Thome is one of the best and last practitioners of “blousing,” where a player pulls the elastic in his pant leg up to the knee, then neatly folds over the remaining fabric, forming a perfect, slightly flaring cuff at mid-calf.
Big Jim. Does it all.
We couldn’t clearly remember the Liberty Bell look, so we went back into the AP photo archives to get a better shot of the Liberty Bell stirrup.
UPDATE: After looking at the photos of Thome, Matt and I were debating whether Thome wore stirrups or socks with the Liberty Bell logo on them. We emailed Paul Lukas of Uni-watch.com to get his thoughts.
“He actually wore red stirrups over red undersocks!,” Lukas responded to us via email.
>>Baseball and socks appeal [Inquirer]
|corey on The Evster reviews Wawa’…|
|Kunk on The Evster reviews Wawa’…|
|t800m101 on Video: All hell breaks loose a…|
|sundresses cheap on Joey Crawford is the best, unh…|
- We Found This 20-Year-Old T-Shirt In Kenya. The Internet Found The Original Owner : Planet Money : NPR
- Prior to a doctor’s intervention, Dwight Howard was eating ‘the equivalent of 24 Hershey bars a day’ via candy and soda | Ball Don't Lie - Yahoo Sports
- To Roy Halladay, With Gratitude - The Triangle Blog - Grantland
- Roy Halladay Opens the 2010 Phillies Playoff Run With a NO-HITTER!! | The700Level
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return
- Video: Hunter Pence's youth baseball instructional video is everything you imagined and more
- Your newest Sixer, Rodney Williams, once threw down pretty hard at the Gola
- Video: Drexel frat dude says f*** 23 times in intramural pregame speech for the ages