Jul 6, 2011, 11:13 PM EDT
Dom Brown continued his string of nice games at the plate by ripping what appeared to be a triple to left center in the sixth inning. But not so fast! After Dom was standing on third for a few moments, someone on the Marlins thought it would be a good idea to appeal to second base umpire Kerwin Danley. They must have seen Brown’s stutter-step before touching the base, because Danley called Brown out. It was ruled a triple-turned-into-a-single and Brown was called out at second. [watch the play here]
But did he really miss the bag? It was very tough to say from all of the replay angles shown on TV. Perhaps the most telling sign? There was absolutely no argument from Brown, who walked right off the field after being ruled out.
If you watch the replay here, it looks as if Kerwin Danley says to Charlie, “he stepped over the bag.”
As it turned out, Brown told reporters following the game that he didn’t, in fact, touch the bag. D’oh!
The botched base running/call would have likely cost the Phillies a run because John Mayberry Jr. hit his second home run of the game minutes later. Instead of a two-run shot, it was only a solo shot.
It would have been a run the Phillies could have used to win the game, as the pen couldn’t keep hold the lead after Kyle Kendrick left after only five innings. Mike Stutes was great per usual, but David Herndon, Andrew Carpenter, and Danys Baez all gave up what proved to be important runs.
Time to come home and get their game faces on for the Braves this weekend.
One of the true highlights of the game, which could have been a game-saver, was the double play turned by Michael Martinez and Chase Utley in the bottom of the seventh to prevent Florida from going ahead. One of the more difficult DPs pulled off in a while by the Phils. [watch it here]
For a full recap of the game, check out John Finger’s game story.
|mattybo24 on Exit Interviews: Evaluating th…|
|thekrisheim on Dan Carcillo gives Flyers fans…|
|Marvin Monroe on Dan Carcillo gives Flyers fans…|
|The Green Hornet on Ryan Howard suddenly off to on…|
- DeSean Jackson releases statement, denies any gang ties
- Swaggy uPdates: Nick Young gets in a hold-me-back fight, has sneakers stolen, and celebrates a missed 3
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- St. Joe's Ron Roberts is in the dunk contest tonight; we collected his most awesome YouTube clips
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money