May 29, 2012, 2:15 PM EDT
ESPN’s Buster Olney joined Tony Bruno and Harry Mayes on 97.5 The Fanatic to discuss all things Phillies this afternoon, which of course means Roy Halladay and Cole Hamels. Not Ryan Howard though, who Ruben Amaro had banished to another dimension on a rehab assignment.
On Halladay, Olney could only speculate like the rest of us on what’s wrong. He remarked that it’s not uncommon for Major League pitchers to experience general wear and tear throughout their careers, adding Doc will likely try to work through whatever it is. That said, if you were to boil down the interview to one line, it’s not something that would instill confidence.
Halladay is scheduled to visit a medical doctor today (important distinction), so we should know something more and concrete in the coming days. That said, some time off for Halladay is starting to look inevitable, and who knows how long until he can get back on track.
Olney also touched on the status of negotiations between the Phillies and Hamels, and while there is still plenty of time to talk, King Cole seems to have all the leverage.
Olney doesn’t think Hamels will actually get a Sabathia deal, but noted he will be far and away the best pitcher on the market when free agency opens. It sounds like the Fightins are really going to have to wow Hamels if they want to have any chance of keeping him off the market, especially with the season he’s having.
The interview also touches on whether Roy Oswalt could be in the picture, and what kind of return the Phils can expect for their coveted players should the team become sellers before the trade deadline.
|puckstopper27 on Nick Young throws out Phillies…|
|sfsu on Snapshots: Flyers draw even in…|
|twine time on At least Evan Turner didn…|
|THOM on 2014 Philadelphia Eagles sched…|
- DeSean Jackson releases statement, denies any gang ties
- Swaggy uPdates: Nick Young gets in a hold-me-back fight, has sneakers stolen, and celebrates a missed 3
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- St. Joe's Ron Roberts is in the dunk contest tonight; we collected his most awesome YouTube clips
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money