Aug 10, 2011, 12:37 AM EST
It was Lee’s second home run of the season and put the Phils up 2-0 in the seventh. Perhaps the most enjoyable aspect of a Phillies pitcher bashing home runs? It has to be the reaction from his battery mate, Carlos Ruiz, who gets about as giddy as anyone when Cliff Lee hits a homer. They even showed off a little hand sign celebration of some sort in the dugout afterwards.
And if you were wondering about Lee’s hand gesture before entering the dugout, which T-Mac wrongly guessed meant “go get me that baseball,” the Inqy’s Matt Gelb says it was directed at Kyle Kendrick, who now owes him some cashola.
Lee’s gesture? That was for Kendrick. He owes him money now.
PREVIOUSLY: Cliff Lee is awesome, adds home run hitter to resume
Lee went on to pitch a clean seventh and eighth before Charlie Manuel turned the game over to his closer Ryan Madson for the ninth.
Madson allowed a single to Matt Kemp to keep things interesting. Kemp eventually scored on a Casey Blake single that brought the winning run to the plate, but Mad Dog locked it in against Rod Barajas and struck out the former Phillies Killer to end the game.
Lee’s performance, both on the mound and at the dish, was stellar. He earned his 12th win of the year. Clifton’s final line: 8 IP, 4 hits, 0 runs, 2 BB, and 10 Ks.
With the win, the Phillies reach 36 games above .500 for the first time since the end of the 1977 season and also secure yet another series win in L.A.
Back at it for another sweep attempt tomorrow afternoon with Vance Worley on the hill.
Damn it feels good to be a Phillies fan.
|thisguy on Philly WrestleMania update: no…|
|Chris on Chip Kelly doesn’t belie…|
|wheeeeeeee.com on Phillies sign pitcher formerly…|
|Hiccup on Phillies sign pitcher formerly…|
- Prior to a doctor’s intervention, Dwight Howard was eating ‘the equivalent of 24 Hershey bars a day’ via candy and soda | Ball Don't Lie - Yahoo Sports
- To Roy Halladay, With Gratitude - The Triangle Blog - Grantland
- Roy Halladay Opens the 2010 Phillies Playoff Run With a NO-HITTER!! | The700Level
- FBI’s search for ‘Mo,’ suspect in bomb threats, highlights use of malware for surveillance - The Washington Post
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return
- Video: Hunter Pence's youth baseball instructional video is everything you imagined and more
- Your newest Sixer, Rodney Williams, once threw down pretty hard at the Gola
- Video: Drexel frat dude says f*** 23 times in intramural pregame speech for the ages