Jul 9, 2011, 5:12 PM EST
In the bottom of the third inning of the Phillies-Braves game at Citizens Bank Park, the FOX telecast gave a headset to one of the Atlanta players to add some colorful commentary to the action. It could not have gone any better.
“Ohhhhh nooooo. Noooo. Are you kidding me? Woooow.”
That’s what Braves’ ace Jair Jurrjens had to say as he watched Cliff Lee rip the tenth pitch of his at-bat against Tommy Hanson deep to right center field, good for the first home run of his career. Lee’s solo shot put the Phillies up 1-0 at that point.
It was the first homer by a Phillies pitcher since Chan Ho Park did it back in April of 2009.
Carlos Ruiz’s reaction to the dinger was priceless. Chooch was shown going nuts in the dugout as Cliff’s ball landed in the seats.
Lee rewarded the Philadelphia fans with a curtain call.
GIF via mocksessions
“I think it’s fun,” Lee said. “You feel more like a baseball player in the National League versus the American League. In the American League, you’re a pitcher. Over here you’ve gotta pitch and hit, run the bases, feel like a baseball player. Anything you can do to help the team win you should take pride in it, you should take it serious and try to do the best you can. That’s what I try to do with hitting. Like today, I got up to the plate with a runner on third with less than two outs. You gotta take advantage of those opportunities. I don’t know how most guys look at it, but I’m trying to hit a sac-fly right there, and I did, so I feel gratification by doing that. It helps the team win, so it’s important.”
|willh888 on Chip Kelly doesn’t belie…|
|Andrew M on Chip Kelly doesn’t belie…|
|David on This Grantland profile on Andr…|
|Enrico Campitelli Jr… on Chip Kelly doesn’t belie…|
- To Roy Halladay, With Gratitude - The Triangle Blog - Grantland
- Roy Halladay Opens the 2010 Phillies Playoff Run With a NO-HITTER!! | The700Level
- FBI’s search for ‘Mo,’ suspect in bomb threats, highlights use of malware for surveillance - The Washington Post
- Slow motion video of a base jump going horribly wrong
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return
- Video: Hunter Pence's youth baseball instructional video is everything you imagined and more
- Your newest Sixer, Rodney Williams, once threw down pretty hard at the Gola
- Video: Drexel frat dude says f*** 23 times in intramural pregame speech for the ages