Jul 25, 2012, 1:43 AM EDT
Tell me if this sounds definitive (and totally awesome):
“Cole Hamels will remain with the Philadelphia Phillies.”
There’s no “likely to,” no “leaning towards,” etc.
The above statement is how Ken Rosenthal started out his report in the wee hours of Wednesday morning.
He continues by saying Hamels is “close to completing” the second largest contract ever given to a pitcher behind only CC Sabathia’s mammoth deal with the Yankees.
“The left-hander is close to completing a six-year contract extension for
more than $137.5 million, according to major-league sources,” Rosenthal writes. [Update: Jon Heyman says the 6-year deal is worth $144 million]
Sounds good to the city of Philadelphia.
Now just make it official.
UPDATE, 3:15 a.m.: CBS Sports Danny Knobler adds that, “John Boggs, Hamels’ agent, was on a late-night flight from San Diego to
Philadelphia to finalize and announce the new deal, sources told
CBSSports.com’s Scott Miller late Tuesday.”
|ochospantalones on The Sixers lost obviously but…|
|Hiccup on Phillies announce ‘R U G…|
|sumkat on Flyers essentially swap Andrej…|
|Jim Anderson on Marlon Byrd claims Phillies ar…|
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return