Oct 22, 2012, 3:45 PM EST
You’ll be happy to know that the man responsible for the NBA’s switch to the breakaway rim is still able to dunk — even if its only only once a year.
Gordie Jones recently sat down with Darryl Dawkins to help share the story of Dawkins’s family life, specifically his relationship with his daughter, Tabitha, who suffers from down syndrome.
The title of the piece, “‘Chocolate Thunder’ grounded — and it’s a good thing,” helps to illustrate how a man who once hailed from the planet Lovetron is now “soft touch” for his kids when not performing community outreach work for the Sixers and Nets or working with Native American basketball players in the Midwest.
Of course, there are three other juicy nuggets to pull from the piece.
1. Dawkins, now 55, dunks just once a year in order to see if he can still do it.
2. Dawkins first backboard-shattering dunk on Nov. 13, 1979 — which he named the “Chocolate Thunder Flyin’, Robinzine Cryin’, Teeth Shakin’, Glass Breakin’, Rump Roastin’, Bun Toastin’, Wham Bam, Glass Breaker I Am Jam” — was an accident. The second one, on Dec. 6, was not.
3. Dawkins is responsible for the scar you may or may not have noticed around Sixers coach Doug Collins’ eye.
For further details on each of the above notes and more on what Dawkins is up to now that he’s given up the practice of “interplanetary funkmanship,” check out Jones’ piece. It’s worth the read.
Dawkins, Doc, and Doug on the finer points of glass breaking:
|Turbo on The Evster reviews Wawa’…|
|corey on The Evster reviews Wawa’…|
|Kunk on The Evster reviews Wawa’…|
|t800m101 on Video: All hell breaks loose a…|
- We Found This 20-Year-Old T-Shirt In Kenya. The Internet Found The Original Owner : Planet Money : NPR
- Prior to a doctor’s intervention, Dwight Howard was eating ‘the equivalent of 24 Hershey bars a day’ via candy and soda | Ball Don't Lie - Yahoo Sports
- To Roy Halladay, With Gratitude - The Triangle Blog - Grantland
- Roy Halladay Opens the 2010 Phillies Playoff Run With a NO-HITTER!! | The700Level
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return
- Video: Hunter Pence's youth baseball instructional video is everything you imagined and more
- Your newest Sixer, Rodney Williams, once threw down pretty hard at the Gola
- Video: Drexel frat dude says f*** 23 times in intramural pregame speech for the ages