Aug 21, 2012, 2:43 PM EDT
Maybe next season they can schedule these types of promotions before the trade deadline.
Despite shipping the right fielder out to San Francisco a few weeks ago, the Phillies are still holding their Hunter Pence bobblehead giveaway at tonight’s game, because as you can see, they already have Hunter Pence bobbleheads. Scott Brandreth, the club’s director of merchandising, had this to say on the matter:
“I guess there’s a little, ‘What are you going to do with 45,000 bobbleheads?’ That certainly crossed your mind,” Brandreth said. “There were a few different scenarios we discussed. But we felt that, ‘You know what? It’s a popular item, and it was a popular player and we assume that there were a decent amount of people that bought tickets for it. So lets do it.’”
Word is one of the solutions the team considered was sending the figurines to New Mexico to be buried in that landfill that is home to all those unsold copies of E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial for the Atari 2600, but passing them off on the fans was way more economical. For what it’s worth, Brandreth adds Pence is cool with the giveaway.
By the way, if you are interested in acquiring one of these Pence bobbleheads for yourself, tickets to the game are still available.
UPDATE: The Pence bobbleheads come with a special message from Hunter Pence. (via Kevin Cooney):
Message from Hunter Pence with tonight’s bobblehead. Apologies for spelling error on previous tweet twitter.com/KevinCooney/st…
— Kevin Cooney (@KevinCooney) August 21, 2012
|Phil From Mt Airy on Nerlens Noel played 4-on-4 tod…|
|fknboz on Nerlens Noel played 4-on-4 tod…|
|Andrew M on Nerlens Noel played 4-on-4 tod…|
|Mostel on Patrick Chung’s reign of…|
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return