Jul 14, 2011, 4:13 PM EST
It’s been an interesting off-season for the Sixers. Or do you even have an “off-season” when you’re locked out? Either way, there’s been plenty to talk about off the court.
Andre Iguodala has been enjoying a relaxing summer after last year’s busy one with the U.S. team, taking time to get his reading in while also looking to start up a new Internet business venture.
But finally today we’re given a piece of basketball news that actually involves the game they play on the court. ET’s working on his game.
Evan Turner tweeted the other day that he was “About to go work on my shooting with good ol’ Herb Mcgee.”
It was welcomed news to all that watched this team closely last year. Evan had a bit of a rocky season for a second overall draft pick. He showed some real signs of growth down the stretch, but he most certainly needed to work on his jumper.
Enter legendary shot doctor Herb Magee.
The Inquirer’s Kate Fagan, who shows she knows a thing or two about shooting the rock, has a real nice look at how Herb and ET are starting from scratch. With the basics, the fundamentals.
The simple fact that Turner is working with Magee alone should be a joy to Sixers fans ears, but he’s also apparently completely ready and willing to be coached.
Again, one more time for emphasis, the fact that Turner is absorbing this instruction and not scoffing at the thought of shooting the ball to himself in the air should give you an indication that he’s pretty coachable. I don’t know a lot of NBA players who would allow their game to be broken down to such a microscopic level. It sounds like Turner and Magee worked for over an hour and a half yesterday and never got past shooting the ball one-handed, not more than a foot away from the rim.
The whole piece is worth a read to get into the actual mechanics of Turner’s shot. But if Magee can work with Turner and transform his jumper into a reliable weapon, that’ll make an already exciting bunch of young Sixers even more fun to watch.
Whenever the hell it is they’ll be playing ball again.
>>Magee tweaking Turner’s shot [Inqy]
|Enrico Campitelli Jr… on The Evster compares the Sixers…|
|lew on Jayson Stark on Larry Bowa, th…|
|mike on The Evster compares the Sixers…|
|Kunk on The Evster compares the Sixers…|
- New clips reveal Outkast’s Andre 3000 as Jimi Hendrix in All Is By My Side’
- Crumbling and stumbling: L&I says it doesn't know how many buildings have collapsed in Philly
- ▶ PhillyTawk: The Phluphian Dialect - YouTube
- San Francisco Mint Says Rare 1800s Gold Coins Have No Link To Thefts « CBS San Francisco
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return