Feb 22, 2012, 12:26 PM EST
Baggage? We’re talkin’ about baggage?
Yes, we’re talking about baggage. Or luggage, which Allen Iverson apparently wasnt’t a fan of bringing on the road during his NBA playing days, instead opting to buy a whole new set of clothing in each city that the Sixers played in.
At least that’s the story a former teammate of Iverson’s with the Philadelphia 76ers relayed to Forbes magazine.
Here’s the wallet-popping part:
reality, however, was an anecdote I received via a former teammate of
Iverson’s from his days with the Philadelphia 76ers. This player, raised
on a far higher standard of fiduciary responsibility, was amused and
stunned by “A.I.’s” money habits. He related how on many road trips
Iverson refused to carry baggage, evidently seeking to remain as
unencumbered from physical things as he was of basketball defenders.
Because of this habit, Iverson would buy a full selection of new
clothes, shoes, and other expensive items at each new destination with
rolls of cash he carried on his person. Moreover, upon departure, he
would leave all those goodies behind in his hotel room or just give them
Now, we’re all for ballers being ballers. But at a certain point balling simply turns into being a broke, unemployed former legend of the game.
If you ever wondered how someone could piss away $200 milliion in career earnings, I guess leaving luggage at home is certainly one way to help do it.
|Ummmm on Union unveil new primary kits,…|
|bulldogmomanne on Before This Week, the Most Un-…|
|BirdGangT on With $13 million guaranteed, J…|
|RDawg44 on Mosher: DeSean Jackson’s…|
- New clips reveal Outkast’s Andre 3000 as Jimi Hendrix in All Is By My Side’
- Crumbling and stumbling: L&I says it doesn't know how many buildings have collapsed in Philly
- ▶ PhillyTawk: The Phluphian Dialect - YouTube
- San Francisco Mint Says Rare 1800s Gold Coins Have No Link To Thefts « CBS San Francisco
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return