Mar 15, 2013, 1:03 PM EDT
The original “Philadelphia Experiment” was a military experiment that reportedly took place at the South Philly Naval Yard in the 1940s that tried to make a giant destroyer ship disappear. Or maybe it didn’t, who knows what to believe. This awesome skateboarding video takes that same name. It mixes present day footage of skateboarders in Philly and mixes it with some classic footage of guys doing their thing at some of the most famous spots in our city. All with a very nice soundtrack.
From the video’s vimeo page:
In this version of “The Philadelphia Experiment”, we travel back to
1997, a time when skateboarding was at its very best in Philadelphia.
Featuring Mark Suciu, Ricky Geiger, Ishod Wair, Jordan Trahan, Devon
Connell, Fred Gall, Matt Reason, Ricky Oyola and many more.
And from the military jawn’s Wikipedia page for the curious.
The Philadelphia Experiment was an alleged naval military experiment reported to have been carried out at the Philadelphia Naval Shipyard in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA sometime around October 28, 1943. It is alleged that the U.S. Navy destroyer escort USS Eldridge was to be rendered invisible (or “cloaked”) to enemy devices. The experiment is also referred to as Project Rainbow.
The story is widely regarded as a hoax. The U.S. Navy maintains that no such experiment was ever conducted, and details of the story contradict well-established facts about the Eldridge itself, as well as the known laws of physics.
I was never a big believer in the laws of physics anyway.
The video above has some amazing footage from all over the city. Skating through the concourse is one of my favorite scenes.
There may be a dirty word or two used if you’re sensitive to those sorts of things.
The video was put together by Caste Quality and Director Chris Mulhern.
From the Archives (2008): Paine’s World: Support Skateboarding in Philadelphia
|Stan on ‘Iverson’ document…|
|Jason R. on Nick Young throws out Phillies…|
|Marvin Monroe on 2014 Philadelphia Eagles sched…|
|2sentz on 2014 Philadelphia Eagles sched…|
- DeSean Jackson releases statement, denies any gang ties
- Swaggy uPdates: Nick Young gets in a hold-me-back fight, has sneakers stolen, and celebrates a missed 3
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- St. Joe's Ron Roberts is in the dunk contest tonight; we collected his most awesome YouTube clips
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money