Nov 22, 2011, 9:23 AM EDT
No, not just the genre! The Sixers mascot of the same name has met his end. When we first heard this was likely and/or possible, we couldn’t have been happier. And it’s not like we’re in the minority or part of some vanguard revolution against the roided up rabbit here. I can’t think of any fans Hip Hop had.
And now, per an investigative report by Rich Hofmann, the Sixers have announced the retirement of Hip Hop, who has fallen in love, married (far be it from him to live in sin), and moved away to start a family. So in short, we have another reason to hate Hip Hop. WHAT WE AIN’T GOOD ENOUGH TO RAISE YOUR HARES NEAR? HUH, HIP HOP?
And now, the search for a new Sixers mascot begins. Any ideas?
Cancel Henson Inc. and whoever. Dave Raymond’s got this. (CC: The Phanatic’s best friend, Tom Burgoyne.)
It’s not an easy city to be a mascot. The shadow of the Phanatic looms large. But Hip Hop was an experiment gone bad, and, importantly for the franchise that wisely put him down, it wasn’t just because of the character.
I’m a Sixers fan, though not nearly as big as some of the others posting here. The team’s been a part of my life as long as I can remember, and I still really enjoy going to the games, trying to hit a few per season. The one thing that really bothered me every time though was Hip Hop. Not just because I thought he was a paper-thin, obviously transient concept, but because he was loud and annoying while I was trying to watch basketball. As if to call more attention to the fact that the arena’s been empty on most nights lately, he would clap thundersticks together, the sound echoing throughout. I probably let it bother me more than I should have, but what can I say. It’s not easy reconciling the wish to fight a mascot with the reality that you’d probably lose.
In any case, whatever the new character is, he needs to go to Phanatic camp to learn the arts. Tip of the cap to the new ownership for moving swiftly on this front. Now that this significant hurdle has been cleared, let’s get the men back on the court.
So, now that we know Hip Hop is no more, any ideas for what should replace him? What shouldn’t?
|Jason R. on Ghost Report: Murray Impressed…|
|your a fool on Ghost Report: Murray Impressed…|
|phillyphanatic77 on Ghost Report: Murray Impressed…|
|Hiccup on Cliff Lee struck out 13 Braves…|
- DeSean Jackson releases statement, denies any gang ties
- Swaggy uPdates: Nick Young gets in a hold-me-back fight, has sneakers stolen, and celebrates a missed 3
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- St. Joe's Ron Roberts is in the dunk contest tonight; we collected his most awesome YouTube clips
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money