Nov 22, 2011, 9:23 AM EST
No, not just the genre! The Sixers mascot of the same name has met his end. When we first heard this was likely and/or possible, we couldn’t have been happier. And it’s not like we’re in the minority or part of some vanguard revolution against the roided up rabbit here. I can’t think of any fans Hip Hop had.
And now, per an investigative report by Rich Hofmann, the Sixers have announced the retirement of Hip Hop, who has fallen in love, married (far be it from him to live in sin), and moved away to start a family. So in short, we have another reason to hate Hip Hop. WHAT WE AIN’T GOOD ENOUGH TO RAISE YOUR HARES NEAR? HUH, HIP HOP?
And now, the search for a new Sixers mascot begins. Any ideas?
Cancel Henson Inc. and whoever. Dave Raymond’s got this. (CC: The Phanatic’s best friend, Tom Burgoyne.)
It’s not an easy city to be a mascot. The shadow of the Phanatic looms large. But Hip Hop was an experiment gone bad, and, importantly for the franchise that wisely put him down, it wasn’t just because of the character.
I’m a Sixers fan, though not nearly as big as some of the others posting here. The team’s been a part of my life as long as I can remember, and I still really enjoy going to the games, trying to hit a few per season. The one thing that really bothered me every time though was Hip Hop. Not just because I thought he was a paper-thin, obviously transient concept, but because he was loud and annoying while I was trying to watch basketball. As if to call more attention to the fact that the arena’s been empty on most nights lately, he would clap thundersticks together, the sound echoing throughout. I probably let it bother me more than I should have, but what can I say. It’s not easy reconciling the wish to fight a mascot with the reality that you’d probably lose.
In any case, whatever the new character is, he needs to go to Phanatic camp to learn the arts. Tip of the cap to the new ownership for moving swiftly on this front. Now that this significant hurdle has been cleared, let’s get the men back on the court.
So, now that we know Hip Hop is no more, any ideas for what should replace him? What shouldn’t?
|BenE. on Chip Kelly doesn’t belie…|
|BenE. on Take a hike, Tom Brady: Eagles…|
|Paul on Nick Foles gets the Sports Ill…|
|willh888 on Chip Kelly doesn’t belie…|
- To Roy Halladay, With Gratitude - The Triangle Blog - Grantland
- Roy Halladay Opens the 2010 Phillies Playoff Run With a NO-HITTER!! | The700Level
- FBI’s search for ‘Mo,’ suspect in bomb threats, highlights use of malware for surveillance - The Washington Post
- Slow motion video of a base jump going horribly wrong
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return
- Video: Hunter Pence's youth baseball instructional video is everything you imagined and more
- Your newest Sixer, Rodney Williams, once threw down pretty hard at the Gola
- Video: Drexel frat dude says f*** 23 times in intramural pregame speech for the ages