Feb 11, 2012, 10:52 AM EST
When Jodie Meeks arrived in Philly at the trade deadline in 2010, it felt like some kind of joke. The Sixers were still stuck in neutral, or more aptly in reverse, and all the front office could come up was an exchange of bench warmers with the equally pitiful Milwaukee Bucks.
Two years later, I couldn’t tell you what Royal Ivey is up to, but Meeks has carved out a role in the Sixers’ starting lineup as a three-point specialist. The 41st pick out of Kentucky in the 2009 draft is tied for seventh with Ray Allen for the most long-distance buckets with 53, hitting at an impressive 43% from beyond the arc. When he gets going, he can shoot with the best of them.
Which is why if Meeks is invited to take part in the Association’s All-Star festivities this month, it will be no joke.
When pressed about the possibility of participating in the three-point shootout, Jodie responded he would “love to” take part. So far, only the Magic’s Ryan Anderson — the NBA leader from beyond the arc by a healthy margin, and a player for the game’s host city of Orlando — is reportedly confirmed for the contest.
Meeks would be a nice addition though. As CSN’s John Finger points out, the Sixers have not had many players compete in the event through the years, only Kyle Korver in recent memory. It would also be a great way to give one of the top teams in the league some additional representation at the event.
And Meeks would certainly be a threat to win the thing. He’s a demon once he gets hot, like he did when he went 6-for-7 against the Wizards on January 13, or when he set the NCAA record for three-pointers in a game with 10 exactly three years earlier.
We’re fairly confident our unassuming Meeks will get the invite, but even if for some reason he doesn’t, he’s changed a lot of minds about the value of that trade. Royal Ivey is somewhere filling garbage minutes, and Primoz Brezec is out of the NBA, but Meeks is an integral part of a first-place club. Who would’ve thunk it?
|Jason R. on The Evster compares the Sixers…|
|Webuppp on Jayson Stark on Larry Bowa, th…|
|kirk on Jayson Stark on Larry Bowa, th…|
|Tito Santantana Offt… on Allen Iverson in latest Reebok…|
- New clips reveal Outkast’s Andre 3000 as Jimi Hendrix in All Is By My Side’
- Crumbling and stumbling: L&I says it doesn't know how many buildings have collapsed in Philly
- ▶ PhillyTawk: The Phluphian Dialect - YouTube
- San Francisco Mint Says Rare 1800s Gold Coins Have No Link To Thefts « CBS San Francisco
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return