Apr 11, 2012, 12:33 PM EDT
With another new baseball season underway and fans getting the chance to head back to beautiful Citizens Bank Park in South Philadelphia for the first time this spring, the question on most fans minds* this time of year is usually, “what song does [insert Phillies player] come up to bat to?”
(*After, of course, “how the hell are we going to score runs?” and “why don’t you go wait in line for crab fries for me?”)
Todd Zolecki — MLB.com blogger and author of the fourth installment of the Hunger Games series, “The Rotation” — investigated that very question and provides a full list of the Phillies walk-up/warm-up song choices.
Our favorites among the Phillies regulars include Jimmy Rollins’ choice of Naughty by Nature’s Uptown Anthem, Carlos Ruiz’s trusty In the Air Tonight by Phil Collins, and Chase Utley’s classic Kashmir by Led Zeppelin. As for the pitchers, it’s hard to argue with Moby Dick/Good Times Bad Times for one Roy Halladay, or Stranglehold by Ted Nugent for Clifton Phifer Lee.
The most curious selection is that of lanky right fielder Hunter Pence. Pence is all energy all the time so it shouldn’t be much of a surprise that he opted to go with dubstep sensation Skrillex — also known as “arguably the #1 alt DJ in the world.” The song is called Breakin’ a Sweat and you can listen to it below.
We reached out to the foremost authority on Skrillex, Carles of HipsterRunoff, for a comment on Pence’s choice, wondering obviously what it all means, but he did not respond by the time of this posting.
@keithlaw That’s lame!Skrillex is amazing get with the times!
— Hunter Pence (@HunterPence3) April 9, 2012
And here’s Hunter talking about Skrillex about halfway through:
|galasso2586 on 3 Stars: Sloppy Flyers complet…|
|Marvin Monroe on 3 Stars: Sloppy Flyers complet…|
|Jason R. on Jason Akeson doesn’t deserve t…|
|that guy on Jason Akeson doesn’t deserve t…|
- DeSean Jackson releases statement, denies any gang ties
- Swaggy uPdates: Nick Young gets in a hold-me-back fight, has sneakers stolen, and celebrates a missed 3
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- St. Joe's Ron Roberts is in the dunk contest tonight; we collected his most awesome YouTube clips
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money