Jul 25, 2012, 10:50 AM EST
Cole Hamels and the Phillies have officially agreed to a whopper of a contract extension to keep the ace in Philadelphia for a long time.
The team’s full statement:
Left-hander Cole Hamels has signed a six-year, $144 million contract extension with the Phillies, Senior Vice President & General Manager Ruben Amaro Jr. announced today. The extension takes Hamels through the 2018 season and includes a club/vesting option for 2019 and a limited no-trade provision.
Hamels, 28, is 11-4 with a 3.23 ERA in 19 starts this season. He enters play today tied for fifth in the National League in wins and ranks fifth in strikeouts (131), sixth in innings pitched (133.2) and seventh in winning percentage (.733).
Since making his major league debut on May 12, 2006, Hamels leads all NL pitchers with 85 wins and ranks third in innings pitched (1,295.0) and starts (199). He has been selected to three NL All-Star teams (2007, 2011-12) and has the second-most strikeouts (1,222) among all major league left-handed pitchers over the last seven seasons (2006-12), trailing only CC Sabathia (1,373).
In 2008, Hamels was named both the NLCS and World Series MVP for the Phillies and is the all-time franchise leader in postseason wins (7) and strikeouts (77), while tying for first in starts (13), and second in ERA (3.09) and innings pitched (81.2). He advanced the Phillies to the 2010 National League Championship Series with a Division Series-clinching shutout over the Cincinnati Reds.
Hamels was originally selected by the Phillies in the first round of the 2002 draft (17th overall). He has a career record of 85-58 with a 3.38 ERA, 10 complete games and four shutouts in 200 games (199 starts).
A happy Cole makes for happy Phillies fans.
Cole and the Phillies will hold a press conference at noon today prior to the game against the Brewers.
|The Bees Knees on Who are these Flyers? Tonight…|
|Joe B on Photos: Temple Basketball will…|
|GregL190 on Chip Kelly doesn’t belie…|
|2sentz on Chip Kelly doesn’t belie…|
- Prior to a doctor’s intervention, Dwight Howard was eating ‘the equivalent of 24 Hershey bars a day’ via candy and soda | Ball Don't Lie - Yahoo Sports
- To Roy Halladay, With Gratitude - The Triangle Blog - Grantland
- Roy Halladay Opens the 2010 Phillies Playoff Run With a NO-HITTER!! | The700Level
- FBI’s search for ‘Mo,’ suspect in bomb threats, highlights use of malware for surveillance - The Washington Post
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return
- Video: Hunter Pence's youth baseball instructional video is everything you imagined and more
- Your newest Sixer, Rodney Williams, once threw down pretty hard at the Gola
- Video: Drexel frat dude says f*** 23 times in intramural pregame speech for the ages