Oct 11, 2012, 1:50 PM EST
Sixers fans have to be excited about some of the new additions to the team. But if Kobe Bryant couldn’t win an MVP while playing alongside Kwame Brown, how could Andrew Bynum?
Kwame spent two-and-a-half seasons with the Los Angeles Lakers, some of their worst years in recent memory, right up until the moment they unloaded him. Once they traded him to Memphis in 2008, the Lake Show went straight to the top and won an NBA Championship.
Acquiring Pau Gasol in that deal probably had something to do with their turnaround, but the previous two seasons of the Kwame era produced only first-round exits. Kobe Bryant talked about those lean years on Wednesday, and he didn’t have a lot of positive things to say about some of his ex-teammates. Via the Orange County Register (per ProBasketballTalk):
“I almost won an MVP with Smush Parker and Kwame Brown on my team,” Bryant said before Wednesday’s 93-75 exhibition loss to Portland. “I was shooting 45 times a game. What was I supposed to do? Pass it to Chris Mihm or Kwame Brown…”
Bryant continued, taking aim at his favorite whipping boy, Parker, calling him “the worst. He shouldn’t have been in the NBA but we were too cheap to pay for a point guard. So we let him walk on.”
What was Jrue Holiday supposed to do, pass it to Kwame Brown? Psh.
Of course, Kwame’s role has changed. At 30 years old, he’s not in Philly to eat up big minutes or be a superstar or even start. He’s there for depth, so it’s not like Bynum and company are being asked to drag dead weight to the Finals, which apparently was expected in LA.
Still, I got a kick out of Kobe’s indignation to playing alongside the first-overall pick in 2001. Looks like he’s our problem now.
|Chip Smelly on Chip Kelly doesn’t belie…|
|BenE. on Chip Kelly doesn’t belie…|
|Captain_Awesome on Why Philadelphia lost WrestleM…|
|Cuban on We’re comparing Michael…|
- Prior to a doctor’s intervention, Dwight Howard was eating ‘the equivalent of 24 Hershey bars a day’ via candy and soda | Ball Don't Lie - Yahoo Sports
- To Roy Halladay, With Gratitude - The Triangle Blog - Grantland
- Roy Halladay Opens the 2010 Phillies Playoff Run With a NO-HITTER!! | The700Level
- FBI’s search for ‘Mo,’ suspect in bomb threats, highlights use of malware for surveillance - The Washington Post
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return
- Video: Hunter Pence's youth baseball instructional video is everything you imagined and more
- Your newest Sixer, Rodney Williams, once threw down pretty hard at the Gola
- Video: Drexel frat dude says f*** 23 times in intramural pregame speech for the ages