Jul 23, 2012, 11:57 AM EDT
The Phillies didn’t have the best weekend down at the ball park. They dropped two of three to the San Francisco Giants but did manage to find a way to salvage an extra-innings walk off win on Sunday.
The expected pitching duel between Cole Hamels and Matt Cain on Saturday didn’t go down as planned. Instead, the pair of aces traded home runs off each other. Cain has belted a few homers in his career, but Saturday marked the first time in Cole’s career he got the enjoyment of a leisurely stroll around the base paths.
In 2012, we’ve got to enjoy the little things. That was one sweet stroke from Cole.
Cole received a hearty ovation from the Citizens Bank Park crowd, well aware that they could have been watching him walk off the mound wearing a Phillies jersey in South Philly for the last time.
We hope not. We’d much rather see Hamels add to his home run total over the next half decade in Philly.
And more importantly, work on adding a few more red flags on the poles high above Ashburn Alley.
In lieu of a walkoff win, getting the chance to watch Hamels jog the bases was a nice consolation prize.
|CD on Sixers locked into lottery #2…|
|NBA lottery is rigge… on Sixers locked into lottery #2…|
|J on CEO Scott O’Neil promise…|
|philasopher on Defenseman Signing Day: Flyers…|
- Ask the Maester: Answers to Your Questions About the Royal Wedding Aftermath (and Other Issues of Great Import) «
- Three Thoughts on Stephen Colbert’s Sudden Ascension to David Letterman’s Late-Night Throne «
- First Phillies game
- Billy Hamilton just scored from third base on a pop fly behind second | HardballTalk
- DeSean Jackson releases statement, denies any gang ties
- Swaggy uPdates: Nick Young gets in a hold-me-back fight, has sneakers stolen, and celebrates a missed 3
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- St. Joe's Ron Roberts is in the dunk contest tonight; we collected his most awesome YouTube clips
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money