Oct 30, 2012, 3:57 PM EST
In years’ past, there’d be no real need for a column about where former
Sixers are playing now, since the team was so focused on keeping its
core intact that if the Sixers let one of their guys go, chances were
pretty good he’d already have one foot out of the league. Not the case
anymore, especially after this last off-season, and now a number of
post-Iverson era Liberty Ballers have found themselves some new digs.
With the NBA regular season kicking off tonight, hooray, here’s a brief
refresher about where our old guys are at now.
New Team: Dallas Mavericks
Acquired Via: Auction bid, after the Sixers amnestied him in the off-season for cap-room purposes.
Starting power forward while Dirk Nowitzki is out with knee issues,
primary post defender. When Nowitzki comes back, he may move over to the
starting pivot, or come off the bench behind Dirk and one-time Clipper
teammate Chris Kaman.
First Game: Tonight, the late TNT game against the Lakers.
New Team: Milwaukee Bucks
Trade with the Houston Rockets, in a H-Town salary dump while GM Darryl
Morey was trying to clear cap space for a potential Dwight Howard
Role: Starting center, at least at first. We bet they revert to the Drew Gooden high-post offense soon enough.
First Game: Friday against the Celtics in Boston
New Team: Los Angeles Clippers
Acquired Via: Trade with the Atlanta Hawks for Sofoklis “Baby Shaq” Schortsanitis.
Third-or-fourth-string shooting guard, behind at least Chauncey Billups
and Jamal Crawford, and possibly Grant Hill too if they need to find
room for him on the wing.
First Game: Tomorrow night against the Grizzlies
New Team: Denver Nuggets
Acquired Via: Trade, as the final piece of the four-team swap that saw Dwight Howard go to Los Angeles and Andrew Bynum come to Philly.
Starting two-guard, defensive stopper, secondary play-maker, and—the
Nugs hope—the player the puts them over the top as a contender in the
First Game: Wednesday night—in Philadelphia, natch.
New Team: Los Angeles Lakers
Acquired Via: Free agency, a one-year, $1.4 million deal.
Role: Floor-spacer off the bench, though if Kobe Bryant sits
tonight with ankle trouble as it is rumored he might—we’ll believe it
when we see it—Jodie will be the starting two-guard for the Lakers’
season opener, alongside Steve Nash, Metta World Peace, Pau Gasol and
First Game: Tonight, the late TNT game against the Mavericks.
New Team: Orlando Magic
The four-team Bynum/Howard trade, one of the “prospects” received by
Orlando in exchange for the second-best player in their franchise’s
Role: Backup center behind the more
defensive-minded Gustavo Ayon, though in the long sense, he and
would’ve-been Sixers rookie Moe Harkless share the burden of proving
that the Magic at least got something out of the whole Dwight Howard deal.
First Game: Friday night against the Nuggets
New Team: Atlanta Hawks
Acquired Via: Free agency, a four-year, $20 million deal.
Probably a similar instant-offense slot off the bench to the one he had
with Philly, though with similar perimeter scoring issues to ones
enjoyed in Philly during his tenure, it’s entirely psosible he’ll spend
large times as an offensive focal point, especially in late-game
First Game: Friday against the Rockets
Also Still Kicking Around:
Lou Amundson, Minnesota Timberwolves
Matt Barnes, Los Angeles Clippers
Raja Bell, Utah Jazz
Reggie Evans, Brooklyn Nets
Kyle Korver, Atlanta Hawks
Andre Miller, Denver Nuggets
John Salmons, Sacramento Kings
Jason Smith, New Orleans Hornets
Marreese Speights, Memphis Grizzlies
Sam Young, Indiana Pacers
|Del on Why the upcoming free agency b…|
|33 on One day away: It’s time…|
|t800m101 on Video: Flyers and Capitals eng…|
|t800m101 on Video: Flyers and Capitals eng…|
- New clips reveal Outkast’s Andre 3000 as Jimi Hendrix in All Is By My Side’
- Crumbling and stumbling: L&I says it doesn't know how many buildings have collapsed in Philly
- ▶ PhillyTawk: The Phluphian Dialect - YouTube
- San Francisco Mint Says Rare 1800s Gold Coins Have No Link To Thefts « CBS San Francisco
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return