Jul 31, 2012, 12:21 PM EST
Philadelphia’s bizarre on-again-off-again love affair with Hunter Pence may soon be coming to an end.
After Shane Victorino was the first Phillies player to be sent packing to the west coast on Tuesday afternoon, CSN Philly’s Jim Salisbury is reporting that Hunter Pence could be next, with talks between the Phillies and Giants being described as “pretty hot.”
[more updated below]
UPDATE 3, 12:35: Maybe not done, per CSNBaggs:
Pence is back! RT
@csnbaggs From Giants VP Bobby Evans on reports Pence deal is done: “Not accurate. No deal. Working through many options”
— M̶i̶k̶e̶ ̶M̶e̶e̶c̶h̶ (@meechone) July 31, 2012
UPDATE 4, 12:44 PM: CBS Sports’ Danny Knobler says the Phillies will get a 21-year-old catcher. Curious:
Tommy Joseph goes to Phils in Hunter Pence deal
— DKnobler (@DKnobler) July 31, 2012
UPDATE 5, 12:50 PM:
— Ken Rosenthal (@Ken_Rosenthal) July 31, 2012
Philadelphia fell in love with Pence in the run to the postseason in 2011, but his shaky outfield play an inability to fully become “The Man” with Ryan Howard and Chase Utley in the outfield has caused some fans to go sour on him. He’s been arguably the team’s best producer this season, right up there with Carlos Ruiz. Pence leads the team with 17 home runs and 59 RBIs.
Pence is still under team control in 2013, with his arbitration number believed to be in the $14 million range.
As Sully also pointed out on Twitter, in trading Shane Victorino to the Dodgers, Ruben Amaro Jr. is pitting L.A. and San Fran against each other, perhaps motivating the Giants to get a little more aggressive for Pence. Only time will tell. Salisbury used the word “smartypants” to describe RAJ’s tactics there.
If the Phillies do end up pulling the trigger, your 2013 outfield is going to have a whole lot of questions marks.
|joe skal on Photo Essay: Patrick Chung wre…|
|BenE. on Video: Zac Rinaldo racks up 27…|
|Mick on Video: Zac Rinaldo racks up 27…|
|mike on Video: Zac Rinaldo racks up 27…|
- FBI’s search for ‘Mo,’ suspect in bomb threats, highlights use of malware for surveillance - The Washington Post
- Slow motion video of a base jump going horribly wrong
- This Florida State Ball Boy Is A College Football Hero (this is amazing)
- How A Reporter Eavesdropped On Barry Bonds's Grand Jury Testimony
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Tony Wroten made a YouTube movie about the Sixers' young rap group
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return
- Video: Hunter Pence's youth baseball instructional video is everything you imagined and more
- Your newest Sixer, Rodney Williams, once threw down pretty hard at the Gola
- Video: Drexel frat dude says f*** 23 times in intramural pregame speech for the ages