Apr 2, 2012, 8:46 PM EDT
The Phillies kicked off their exhibition On-Deck Series on Monday night at Citizens Bank Park in South Philadelphia. The atmosphere at the ballpark was less about the numbers on the scoreboard and more about welcoming baseball back for another season.
Following that spirit a number of players and coaches were wandering around the park hours before the game interacting with fans to show their appreciation. Chase Utley was giving away booklets in the concourse. Charlie Manuel was signing autographs at one of the ticketing windows. Jimmy Rollins sang Happy Birthday to at least one lucky fan in the stands. Cliff Lee was cruising around outside CBP in a golf cart, picking up lucky fans along the way. [photo of Cholly below]
As for the game, it was tied at 3-3 in the seventh inning at the time of this publishing. Riveting action all over the place. Notable moments included Shane Victorino legging out a triple and Jimmy Rollins getting gunned down at third in an attempted triple of his own. Jim Thome also had a nice moment when the Citizens Bank Park faithful gave him a standing ovation as he came up to pinch hit in the fifth inning. Joe Blanton pitched fine in his final tune up, allowing 2 runs on 3 hits and 3 strikeouts in 4.2 innings of work. The Phanatic, opting to wear red for the evening, shot hot dogs into the crowd from a cannon.
UPDATE: Freddy Galvis continued his impressive spring by ripping a go-ahead RBI triple in the bottom of the seventh. He also had a hit earlier in the evening and made a nice tricky stop at second.
UPDATE2: The Phillies won 4-3.
Photo captions: Philadelphia Phillies’ Cliff Lee gives a thumbs-up as he drives a golf cart to pick up fans outside the stadium before the Phillies’ exhibition baseball game with the Pittsburgh Pirates on Monday, April 2, 2012, in Philadelphia. (AP Photo/Alex Brandon)
Philadelphia Phillies manager Charlie Manuel signs a jersey for a fan as he works at a ticket window before the Phillies’ exhibition baseball game with the Pittsburgh Pirates on Monday, April 2, 2012, in Philadelphia. (AP Photo/Alex Brandon)
|Tom on Union have real chance to make…|
|Craig on It doesn’t matter what w…|
|t800m101 on Interesting theory on Jake Vor…|
|ochospantalones on Cliff Lee struck out 13 Braves…|
- DeSean Jackson releases statement, denies any gang ties
- Swaggy uPdates: Nick Young gets in a hold-me-back fight, has sneakers stolen, and celebrates a missed 3
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- St. Joe's Ron Roberts is in the dunk contest tonight; we collected his most awesome YouTube clips
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money