Oct 4, 2011, 11:03 AM EST
With the Phillies set to play their biggest game of the season to date this evening in St. Louis, the Philadelphia Inquirer profiled one of the more interesting fixtures at Citizens Bank Park, Emily Youcis, better known simply as Pistachio Girl.
The origins of Pistachio Girl’s minor celebrity are murky, although they likely began in a dingy basement somewhere with the help of the Internet, often known as the world-wide web. Ms. Youcis, by all accounts, appears to be rather strange. For example, take her Internet TV show or her wonderful answers she provided to the Philadelphia Inquirer — when discussing her work attire for example.
She has blond hair, usually in pigtails, although it’s naturally
brown and also has been dyed strawberry this season. Although she wore
tights Sunday in the cold, her wardrobe is usually shorts and black
“I like the idea of a boot,” she said. “Makes people think – reminds
people of physical labor, because it is. It’s physical labor, dog.”
Pistachio hockin’ ain’t easy, dog.
Apparently Pistachio Girl is bigger than some of us in the seemingly small world of Philly sports blogs initially believed. Even Mike Stutes and Antonio Bastardo are familiar with her work, and often wonder where she is sometimes when she’s not at the ball park.
During the summer, on warm nights, when the mood in the ballpark is
more playful, casual, she will yell down to the bullpen, “Hey, Cutesy
Stutesy, want some nuts?” This sends the fans wild in Section 102. They love the show, and of course this helps with sales.
“She yells out my name every day,” Stutes said in an interview before
the playoffs. “I have no idea why . . . I’m sitting there and I can
always hear, so I wave back at her. I don’t think it would be very nice
if I ignored her.”
The Inquirer piece also mentions that many fans have pictures of Pistachio Girl on their cell phones, a true sign of celebrity in today’s TMZ world. And it’s true. Here’s a shot I titled “A Portrait of Pistachio Vendor as a Young Girl” on Flickr from earlier this summer.
|Get Animax Ointment on Shocker: Some People in Baseba…|
|Chris on Roy Halladay places ad in Dail…|
|2sentz on Cowboys lose, Eagles take over…|
|ken bartlett on Biggest takeaway from Eagles S…|
- Roy Halladay Opens the 2010 Phillies Playoff Run With a NO-HITTER!! | The700Level
- FBI’s search for ‘Mo,’ suspect in bomb threats, highlights use of malware for surveillance - The Washington Post
- Slow motion video of a base jump going horribly wrong
- This Florida State Ball Boy Is A College Football Hero (this is amazing)
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return
- Video: Hunter Pence's youth baseball instructional video is everything you imagined and more
- Your newest Sixer, Rodney Williams, once threw down pretty hard at the Gola
- Video: Drexel frat dude says f*** 23 times in intramural pregame speech for the ages