Oct 4, 2011, 11:03 AM EDT
With the Phillies set to play their biggest game of the season to date this evening in St. Louis, the Philadelphia Inquirer profiled one of the more interesting fixtures at Citizens Bank Park, Emily Youcis, better known simply as Pistachio Girl.
The origins of Pistachio Girl’s minor celebrity are murky, although they likely began in a dingy basement somewhere with the help of the Internet, often known as the world-wide web. Ms. Youcis, by all accounts, appears to be rather strange. For example, take her Internet TV show or her wonderful answers she provided to the Philadelphia Inquirer — when discussing her work attire for example.
She has blond hair, usually in pigtails, although it’s naturally
brown and also has been dyed strawberry this season. Although she wore
tights Sunday in the cold, her wardrobe is usually shorts and black
“I like the idea of a boot,” she said. “Makes people think – reminds
people of physical labor, because it is. It’s physical labor, dog.”
Pistachio hockin’ ain’t easy, dog.
Apparently Pistachio Girl is bigger than some of us in the seemingly small world of Philly sports blogs initially believed. Even Mike Stutes and Antonio Bastardo are familiar with her work, and often wonder where she is sometimes when she’s not at the ball park.
During the summer, on warm nights, when the mood in the ballpark is
more playful, casual, she will yell down to the bullpen, “Hey, Cutesy
Stutesy, want some nuts?” This sends the fans wild in Section 102. They love the show, and of course this helps with sales.
“She yells out my name every day,” Stutes said in an interview before
the playoffs. “I have no idea why . . . I’m sitting there and I can
always hear, so I wave back at her. I don’t think it would be very nice
if I ignored her.”
The Inquirer piece also mentions that many fans have pictures of Pistachio Girl on their cell phones, a true sign of celebrity in today’s TMZ world. And it’s true. Here’s a shot I titled “A Portrait of Pistachio Vendor as a Young Girl” on Flickr from earlier this summer.
|bgp on At least Evan Turner didn…|
|mattybo24 on Exit Interviews: Evaluating th…|
|thekrisheim on Dan Carcillo gives Flyers fans…|
|Marvin Monroe on Dan Carcillo gives Flyers fans…|
- DeSean Jackson releases statement, denies any gang ties
- Swaggy uPdates: Nick Young gets in a hold-me-back fight, has sneakers stolen, and celebrates a missed 3
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- St. Joe's Ron Roberts is in the dunk contest tonight; we collected his most awesome YouTube clips
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money