Sep 30, 2011, 1:28 PM EST
CITIZENS BANK PARK — The logos are drying on the field. The Phillies are going through their pre-NLDS workout right now. Charlie Manuel and tomorrow night’s starter, Roy Halladay, just wrapped up their media sessions and said that — while they respect the Cardinals team for the resilience they’ve shown and the talent they have — The Fightins are confident and ready to defeat them.
The playoff buzz has started in South Philly.
Charlie Manuel praised the Cardinals’ offense, calling them a “real good hitting ball club,” but also saved the best compliments for his ace on the hill tomorrow, Roy Halladay.
“He’s the most prepared guy I’ve ever seen. He works harder than anyone I’ve ever seen,” Manuel said of Halladay. “He thinks he can throw any pitch he’s got at any moment.”
“He’s more determined.”
As for the Cardinals success against the Phils earlier this season, Roy Halladay doesn’t see much of a connection between then and now.
“I don’t really see one thing or a couple things that would lead us to believe it’s going to happen again,” Halladay said.
Clearly the highlight of the early media session was when Roy Halladay was asked about the need to balance showing respect to your opponent while being confident in your team.
Here’s the full context of Roy’s put-them-in-a-grave-ala-Shakespeare’s-Mark-Antony response:
Roy Halladay: I heard a quote a long time ago, ‘I came here to bury Caesar, not praise him.’ It’s true. I think that we’re all well aware of how good the [Cardinals] are. We obviously have a respect for what they’ve done and how they’ve played, but you have to be confident going in that you’re going to be able to beat them. You have to be confident the guys around you feel the same way. It is important, I think we all don’t take it lightly, but at the same time, I feel like without an arrogant tone to it, we believe we have a team that can go out and get the job done.
Gotta love Roy Halladay quoting Shakespeare while also eliciting the same emotions of watching the final fight scene in Karate Kid.
Here’s Charlie talking about just how good Roy is:
|charles murphy on Roy Halladay places ad in Dail…|
|Robert Matthews on Roy Halladay places ad in Dail…|
|ericsaxon35 on Video: Zac Rinaldo racks up 27…|
|Brian Grasso on Photos and Time Lapse: This is…|
- Roy Halladay Opens the 2010 Phillies Playoff Run With a NO-HITTER!! | The700Level
- FBI’s search for ‘Mo,’ suspect in bomb threats, highlights use of malware for surveillance - The Washington Post
- Slow motion video of a base jump going horribly wrong
- This Florida State Ball Boy Is A College Football Hero (this is amazing)
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return
- Video: Hunter Pence's youth baseball instructional video is everything you imagined and more
- Your newest Sixer, Rodney Williams, once threw down pretty hard at the Gola
- Video: Drexel frat dude says f*** 23 times in intramural pregame speech for the ages