Aug 20, 2011, 2:20 PM EST
ESPN’s SweetSpot blog takes a look at Shane Victorino’s season and — using mostly WAR (wins above replacement) — makes a case for the Flyin’ Hawaiian to be right at the top of the conversation for NL MVP this year.
Another interesting angle, aside from simply the stats side of things, that I had never really considered in such conversations is player bias. For instance, Shane’s rate stats are very, very similar to that of AL MVP candidate Jacoby Ellsbury, but Victorino was a Rule 5 guy, not one of baseball’s hottest prospects. That reputation can follow you apparently.
It’s worth a read.
>>Shane Victorino’s case for MVP [ESPN]
|Webuppp on Jayson Stark on Larry Bowa, th…|
|kirk on Jayson Stark on Larry Bowa, th…|
|Tito Santantana Offt… on Allen Iverson in latest Reebok…|
|charlie d on Jayson Stark on Larry Bowa, th…|
- New clips reveal Outkast’s Andre 3000 as Jimi Hendrix in All Is By My Side’
- Crumbling and stumbling: L&I says it doesn't know how many buildings have collapsed in Philly
- ▶ PhillyTawk: The Phluphian Dialect - YouTube
- San Francisco Mint Says Rare 1800s Gold Coins Have No Link To Thefts « CBS San Francisco
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return