Aug 2, 2012, 8:28 AM EST
Having staved off the Nat Attack in the second inning, it was the Phillies’ turn in the third. Jimmy Rollins had homered in the series opener (you remember the inside-the-parker), and nearly done so again leading off on Wednesday. He must have liked what Edwin Jackson was serving, because he stroked one to right, kickstarting the Phillies offense for the night. Leading off in the top of the fifth, Jimmy blasted another one, his third in the first two games of the series and 12th of the season.
Nate Schierholtz made his presence known in his first game as a Phillie, homering and making a sliding catch in right. Batting second in the lineup, his longball came right after Jimmy’s second of the game, putting the Phillies ahead with the 3-2 lead they’d carry for the rest of the night. Schierholtz’s defense helped ensure that W, when he charged and made a sliding catch on a Bryce Harper flare with no outs in the bottom of the eighth. Not to throw an unnecessary handful of dirt on the grave of Hunter Pence’s Phillies career, but I’m pretty sure every Phils fan watching the game last night muttered, “Pence wouldn’t have gotten to that” or “Pence would have kicked that halfway down the first base line,” or “Pence would have slid three feet past the ball as it bounced toward the corner and Bryce Harper had his revenge for J-Roll’s inside the park roundtripper the night before.” You get the point, and it isn’t that Nate Schierholtz is a better overall option in right. There may be some advantages though.
Kratz Kratz Kratz Kratzkratzkratz Kratz Kratz Kratz Kratzkratz EVERYBODY!
|charlie d on Jayson Stark on Larry Bowa, th…|
|Chutley on Jayson Stark on Larry Bowa, th…|
|Mike on Jayson Stark on Larry Bowa, th…|
|Mostel on Jayson Stark on Larry Bowa, th…|
- New clips reveal Outkast’s Andre 3000 as Jimi Hendrix in All Is By My Side’
- Crumbling and stumbling: L&I says it doesn't know how many buildings have collapsed in Philly
- ▶ PhillyTawk: The Phluphian Dialect - YouTube
- San Francisco Mint Says Rare 1800s Gold Coins Have No Link To Thefts « CBS San Francisco
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return