Jul 31, 2012, 12:07 PM EST
And aloha means goodbye…
Shane Victorino, one of the core players on the 2008 WFC Phillies, has been traded to the Los Angeles Dodgers for big right-handed middle reliever Josh Lindblom and a prospect, RHP Ethan Martin. The trade was first reported by Yahoo’s Tim Brown. Shane was a pain in the ass quite a bit, but more often than not he was a pain in the ass for opposing teams.
[PHOTO GALLERY: Shane Victorino's warmest L.A. memories]
Victorino provided some of the most memorable moments of the magical 2008 run. His grand slam off of C.C. Sabathia and the Brewers is near the top of my list of best sporting moments ever witnessed in person. His game-tying homer in Game 4 of the NLCS against the Dodgers was a thing of beauty, a real changing point. He played the villain wonderfully in that L.A. series, inciting a real rivalry between the two teams. You can throw at Shane Victorino, Hiroki Kuroda, just don’t throw at his head.
Here’s video of Scott Franzke and Larry Andersen calling Shane’s amazing grand slam off of Sabathia (via the defunct Fightins):
Like I said, loved that guy.
While as odd as it is to see Vic get sent back to the team the Phillies originally got him from in the Rule 5 draft, it’s strangely fitting. He’s the prototypical player you hate on opposing teams and love on your own. L.A. fans will do a 180 right quick and learn to embrace the Flyin’ Hawaiian. Plus, he did tremendous work in the Philadelphia community. I’m sure he’ll continue those efforts wherever he plants his next roots.
Victorino was an integral part of the greatest run in franchise history. For that, he’ll always be remembered fondly by the South Philly faithful.
He will most certainly be missed manning center field at Citizens Bank Park for the Philadelphia Phillies.
What were some of your favorite Shane memories from over the years?
US Presswire photos
|BenE. on Take a hike, Tom Brady: Eagles…|
|t800m101 on Video: Sean Couturier is too m…|
|Marvin Monroe on Nick Foles gets the Sports Ill…|
|sfsu on Take a hike, Tom Brady: Eagles…|
- To Roy Halladay, With Gratitude - The Triangle Blog - Grantland
- Roy Halladay Opens the 2010 Phillies Playoff Run With a NO-HITTER!! | The700Level
- FBI’s search for ‘Mo,’ suspect in bomb threats, highlights use of malware for surveillance - The Washington Post
- Slow motion video of a base jump going horribly wrong
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return
- Video: Hunter Pence's youth baseball instructional video is everything you imagined and more
- Your newest Sixer, Rodney Williams, once threw down pretty hard at the Gola
- Video: Drexel frat dude says f*** 23 times in intramural pregame speech for the ages