Jun 11, 2012, 12:28 PM EST
This summer marks the 20th anniversary of Michael Jordan, Larry Bird, Magic Johnson, Charles Barkley and other legends all coming together to form the greatest team ever assembled: The Dream Team.
To remember that amazing squad, GQ’s Lang Whitaker recently tracked down many of the coaches, players, and others involved in the Dream Team’s epic run to gold at the Barcelona Olympics in an attempt to put together a fantastic oral history.
Not surprisingly, some of the Sir Charles nuggets are hilarious.
Here’s one anecdote about Barkley choosing to go out and enjoy the Barcelona night life despite being mobbed at all times. Chuck lived it up while other players opted to keep out of sight.
Barkley: I wasn’t going to stay in my room the whole time.
Hubbard: Charles would walk down Las Ramblas, and people would say, “Charles, what are you doing for security?” And he’d show you his two fists and say, “This is my security.” He was like the Pied Piper. He’d have this huge group of people following and yelling and smiling and taking pictures. And he loved it.
There’s plenty more Chuckster goodness in the piece, including word that Barkley was the last pro added to the squad because they were a bit worried he might not represent the U.S. in the manner they hoped. The story about the dinner with the Prince might tell you why.
Never change, Chuck.
Photo Caption: Team USA’s Larry Bird, left, and Charles Barkley relax on the sidelines toward the end of the game against Brazil in Barcelona during the Summer Olympics, July 31, 1992. Barkley scored 30 points, the highest by a U.S. player in 11 pre-Olympic and Olympic games, in the 127-83 victory over Brazil. (AP Photo/Susan Ragan)
|Andrew M on Chip Kelly doesn’t belie…|
|David on This Grantland profile on Andr…|
|Enrico Campitelli Jr… on Chip Kelly doesn’t belie…|
|Chip Smelly on Chip Kelly doesn’t belie…|
- To Roy Halladay, With Gratitude - The Triangle Blog - Grantland
- Roy Halladay Opens the 2010 Phillies Playoff Run With a NO-HITTER!! | The700Level
- FBI’s search for ‘Mo,’ suspect in bomb threats, highlights use of malware for surveillance - The Washington Post
- Slow motion video of a base jump going horribly wrong
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return
- Video: Hunter Pence's youth baseball instructional video is everything you imagined and more
- Your newest Sixer, Rodney Williams, once threw down pretty hard at the Gola
- Video: Drexel frat dude says f*** 23 times in intramural pregame speech for the ages