Sixers Reportedly Hire New Coach, Nearly Trade ET, Swap Second-Rounders Twice, What Else Can Possibly Happen Tonight?
Jun 28, 2013, 12:11 AM EDT
It won’t be nearly the biggest headline for the Sixers for the night, but yes, Philly also exited draft night with a new head coach, with Spurs assistant coach Brett Brown reportedly being handed the reins for the Liberty Ballers. In addition to his work with San Antonio, Brown is also the coach of the Australian national team, having won the NBL coach of the year in 1994 with the North Melbourne Giants. No idea what any of that means or what Brown is all about as a coach, but he has the word “Spurs” prominently associated with his name, which means his hiring will be considered fairly unassailable in the hoops world. Good for Sam Hinkie.
[1:19 am Update: Hinkie said the coaching report is "not true."]
In addition, the Sixers have made their second-round pickup, though it wasn’t with Glen Rice Jr., the name player they took at #35. Rather, they traded down–get used to it, it could be a hallmark of the Hinkie era–and selected Nate Wolters, another point guard, from South Dakota State. Then they traded down from him, and got shooting guard Ricky Ledo from the Milwaukee Bucks at #43. Then they traded down from him, and now it’s unclear exactly what we have. We probably get to keep #54, at least–Arsalan Kazemi, a rebounding phenom from Iran by way of Oregon who Grantland’s Brett Koremonos has taken on as a personal cause. Who knows if he’ll be tomorrow, but if so, cool, rebounds.
We may or may not also have gotten another second-rounder with the #42 pick, point guard Pierre Jackson from New Orleans, but it’s currently unclear whether he was packaged in the Jrue/Nerlens deal to New Orleans or not. If we do get to keep him, Pelton loves him, and from Ford’s analysis, he seems undersized but talented, possibly a contributor as a backup. Stay tuned to find out whether or not Jackson is staying, and if not, what exactly became of the #35 pick we traded down from three times.
Finally, as if they hadn’t been busy enough tonight, rumor has it the Sixers also tried to trade their other “backcourt of the future” lynchpin in Evan Turner, attempting to ship him to Phoenix for a late first-round pick, but getting rebuffed. ET might’ve survived the night for the Sixers, but it seems pretty clear that the writing is on the wall for our #2 overall pick. We’ll deal with getting sentimental about that when the time officially comes, and preferably on a night where we don’t also have to say goodbye to Jrue Holiday, the prospect that Evan never truly was.
Clearly tonight will go down as a hugely fateful night in Sixers history, one where we officially turned the page on the Doug Collins era of Philly basketball and began on a long, rocky road to what will hopefully eventually lead us back to the playoffs and contention and all that fun stuff. And to think–most teams take an entire off-season to do all this stuff.
|33 on Matchday: Eagles linemen get y…|
|sfsu on Jayson Stark on Larry Bowa, th…|
|sfsu on Jayson Stark on Larry Bowa, th…|
|2sentz on Matchday: Eagles linemen get y…|
- New clips reveal Outkast’s Andre 3000 as Jimi Hendrix in All Is By My Side’
- Crumbling and stumbling: L&I says it doesn't know how many buildings have collapsed in Philly
- ▶ PhillyTawk: The Phluphian Dialect - YouTube
- San Francisco Mint Says Rare 1800s Gold Coins Have No Link To Thefts « CBS San Francisco
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return