Mar 12, 2013, 2:57 PM EST
Roy Halladay’s line against the Tigers on March 12: 2.2 IP,
6 H, 7 R, 7 ER, 4 BB, 2 SO, 2 HR – including a grand slam. 11 of 18 batters
reached base safely.
Everybody, please move to the fallout shelters in an orderly
Doc had been having a nice, calming Spring for the Phillies,
allowing six hits and two earned runs over 8.1 innings in his previous three
starts. His command seemed to be there, walking two batters compared to seven
strikeouts, while hitters hadn’t really teed off on him at all, surrendering
just one home run.
Tuesday’s outing was a far cry from that obviously. The
control issues are particularly worrisome, and the parade across home plate
inflated Halladay’s ERA from 2.16 to 7.36. Worse yet, the Detroit Tigers didn’t
even have several of their best players in the lineup.
You would like to chalk it up to one bad day. Maybe Halladay
was working on some things. Maybe…
Unfortunately, there are multiple reports that Halladay’s
velocity was down today, just as it was down in his last start. Just as it was
last Spring. Cue panic.
Halladay struggling with velocity and command. Fastball sitting between 86 and 88.
— Bob Brookover (@brookob) March 12, 2013
It’s not the end of the world quite yet. It was one bad day after all. The Phillies
don’t necessarily need Roy Halladay to return to Cy Young form. It’s probably
not fair to expect that.
The Phils do need Doc to at least be effective though if
they are to have a Fightin chance this year. Clearly he was anything but on
Tuesday. Time will tell if he can turn it around, but there is definitely cause
|dawkisgod on Snowballs fly in Washington, B…|
|Tom on The ‘Group of Death…|
|yishmeister on LeSean McCoy pulls Eagles slei…|
|clmull on Snowballs fly in Washington, B…|
- FBI’s search for ‘Mo,’ suspect in bomb threats, highlights use of malware for surveillance - The Washington Post
- Slow motion video of a base jump going horribly wrong
- This Florida State Ball Boy Is A College Football Hero (this is amazing)
- How A Reporter Eavesdropped On Barry Bonds's Grand Jury Testimony
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Tony Wroten made a YouTube movie about the Sixers' young rap group
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return
- Video: Hunter Pence's youth baseball instructional video is everything you imagined and more
- Your newest Sixer, Rodney Williams, once threw down pretty hard at the Gola
- Video: Drexel frat dude says f*** 23 times in intramural pregame speech for the ages