Sep 26, 2012, 1:51 AM EDT
We’re sorry to report Darin “Babe” Ruf did not continue his storybook year by depositing a baseball into the flowerbeds in left field, as we suggested he might in the pregame. Had he done that, I would be busy shooting my psychic hotline commercials right now.
Instead the Eastern League MVP went ahead and continued writing the pages himself, and he decided the next chapter could do a little bit better than the flowerbeds. How ’bout 10 rows deep?
Making his first Major League start, Ruf stepped up to the plate with two out and none on in the bottom of the second. The 26 year old worked a full count before taking Ross Detwiler’s 3-2 offering for a 400-foot ride to the seats in left-center.
Ruf returned to the dugout to no reception, his teammates giving him a good-natured silent treatment for a solid five minutes. Charlie Manuel told reporters even the bat boy wouldn’t acknowledge the slugger. From Sully’s story:
“That was the longest silent treatment of all time,” [Ruf] said. “It was probably for all the times I suggested we do it to someone in Double A. I guess I had it coming to me.”
As for the game itself, the Phillies held off Washington 6-3. Carlos Ruiz and Domonic Brown also went yard, while Cole Hamels picked up his 16th win and Jon Papelbon earned his 37th save.
|puckstopper27 on Nick Young throws out Phillies…|
|sfsu on Snapshots: Flyers draw even in…|
|twine time on At least Evan Turner didn…|
|THOM on 2014 Philadelphia Eagles sched…|
- DeSean Jackson releases statement, denies any gang ties
- Swaggy uPdates: Nick Young gets in a hold-me-back fight, has sneakers stolen, and celebrates a missed 3
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- St. Joe's Ron Roberts is in the dunk contest tonight; we collected his most awesome YouTube clips
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money