Video: Phillies Fans Still Excited to Receive Hunter Pence Bobblehead Long After His Trade to San Fran
Aug 21, 2012, 8:59 PM EST
“It’s a bobblehead. Who’s not excited about a bobblehead?”
That seemed to be the prevailing fan sentiment at Citizens Bank Park prior to Tuesday night’s Phillies game against the Cincinnati Reds.
The scheduled giveaway for the evening was a bobble figurine of former Phillie and current San Francisco Giant Hunter Pence. Pence quickly became something of a fan favorite in Philadelphia, partly because of his quirky, powerful swing and “Let’s Go Eat!” tagline, but also because of his athletic physique – at least that’s what one particular lady told us. The giveaway was scheduled months ago, long before Pence was traded to the left coast, but as the team said, what else were they going to do with 45,000 bobbleheads other than give them away?
We set up shop along the first base gate to gauge fan reactions to receiving the piece of Pence paraphernalia. Were they still excited to get a Pence bobble even though he was traded? Had they long been planning to come to this game for the bobble alone? And finally, what did they plan on doing with it now that he’s playing for the Giants?
We were kind of hoping for a few crazy answers at either end of the spectrum. Something like, “I plan to put it in the middle of my Hunter Pence shrine right next to my giant fork.” Or on the flip side, someone throwing it in a trash can immediately after receiving it.
We didn’t get either of those, but one lady (who didn’t want to be filmed) did ask her friends if she should give it back because she didn’t really want it.
For the most part, fans were excited to stash their little Hunter Pence figurine right in the middle of their existing bobble collection and said they’d remember Hunter’s time in Philadelphia fondly.
Pence, playing right field for San Francisco tonight, would agree with that sentiment and attached a note to Phillies fans on each bobblehead:
“Thanks, Phillies fans, for the great memories. I’m glad my Bobble Figurine will still be given out oven though I’m no longer in Philadelphia. I hope it will serve as a lasting reminder of my time there. It was a year of my career that I will never forget.”
|caliphornian on Snowballs fly in Washington, B…|
|BenE. on LeSean McCoy pulls Eagles slei…|
|BenE. on Video: Zac Rinaldo racks up 27…|
|t800m101 on Video: Zac Rinaldo racks up 27…|
- FBI’s search for ‘Mo,’ suspect in bomb threats, highlights use of malware for surveillance - The Washington Post
- Slow motion video of a base jump going horribly wrong
- This Florida State Ball Boy Is A College Football Hero (this is amazing)
- How A Reporter Eavesdropped On Barry Bonds's Grand Jury Testimony
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Tony Wroten made a YouTube movie about the Sixers' young rap group
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return
- Video: Hunter Pence's youth baseball instructional video is everything you imagined and more
- Your newest Sixer, Rodney Williams, once threw down pretty hard at the Gola
- Video: Drexel frat dude says f*** 23 times in intramural pregame speech for the ages