May 16, 2012, 12:21 PM EDT
Little is known about Vance Worley’s elbow soreness, except he will miss not one, but at least three games. The Phillies placed the 24 year old on the 15-day disabled list on Wednesday, and formally announced Kyle Kendrick as the starter for tonight’s game against the Cubs at Wrigley.
The Inq’s Matt Gelb tweeted that team officials are keeping their fingers crossed, but indicated they do not know yet whether or not the inflammation in his elbow a sign of a more serious problem.
Worley picked up in 2012 right where he left off last season, going 3-2 with a 3.07 ERA in seven outings. Jim Salisbury adds the Phils are 20-8 in games the Vanimal’s starts over the past two seasons, calling him a “godsend.”
His replacement is 0-2 with a 6.43 ERA in three starts this season, but it’s not as bad as it looks. Kendrick was tagged for seven runs over three frames in his first trip out in Arizona. Over his next two, KK allowed three earned in 11 innings (2.45), but the Phillies were unable to provide the run support.
Kendrick got pounded in his last appearance, allowing five runs and picking up his third loss of the season in an inning or relief against the Mets. He’s off to a dismal start overall this year, 0-3 with a 7.32 ERA and a staggering 2.03 WHIP.
Last season, Kendrick went 5-4 with a 3.14 ERA as a starter.
|philsoc8 on Yeah, the Union should’v…|
|oshihidra on Yeah, the Union should’v…|
|Marvin Monroe on New Eagles linebacker was Aber…|
|Z on New Eagles linebacker was Aber…|
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return