Oct 31, 2013, 2:30 PM EST
If there’s any silver lining whatsoever to a Flyers’ offense that has yet to score more than two goals in team’s first first seven home games, it’s the fact that we fans haven’t had to listen to the team’s crummy new goal song all that often.
Wait… the Flyers’ goal song isn’t “Doop” anymore?
I can’t blame you if you haven’t been paying attention recently, but “Doop” has been retired as the team’s goal song. The Flyers have a new goal song and it’s pretty awful.
It’s “My Songs Know What You Did in the Dark,” better known as “Light ‘Em Up” by Fall Out Boy.
Show of hands if any of you actually like this song or Fall Out Boy.
That’s what I thought.
“Doop” had been the Orange and Black’s goal-celebration theme since the start of the 2011 playoffs, reportedly at the request of the recently bought-out Danny Briere. With Briere now in Montreal, the song has been shelved.
Personally, I felt “Doop” was a decent goal song but I get the fact that some didn’t like it because they felt the Flyers took it from their Philly soccer neighbors, the Union, which has been using to song to celebrate goals scored since the its inception. To me, it just felt like a unique Philly thing, which made it cool.
Before “Doop,” the Flyers used Pennywise’s “Bro Hymn” as the team’s goal song. Many of you will remember it from the Flyers’ run to the 2010 Stanley Cup Final. Another decent choice but it was a tad bit watered-down considering the Anaheim Ducks have used it since 2005 and the New York Islanders used it during the 2009-10 season.
In the pre-lockout days, the Flyers used Blur’s “Song 2” to celebrate goals. Some of you may know that song better as the “Woo Hoo” song. I wouldn’t mind bringing that goal song back except for one glaring black mark: the Penguins have used it in the past. They’ve tainted it. If there’s one thing in life you don’t want to be like, it’s something that reminds people of the Pittsburgh Penguins.
For the first two home games of this season, AC/DC’s “TNT” blared throughout Wells Fargo Center on the rare occasion the Flyers actually scored. That celebratory theme was pretty bad but not as dreadful as “Light ‘Em Up,” which replaced it.
With these terrible goal songs, it’s no wonder there’s been so much bad karma around the Flyers’ offense this season.
Anyway, what’s abundantly clear here is that the Flyers desperately need a new goal song.
There’s an online petition floating around that requests the Flyers change their goal song to Tag Team’s “Whoomp There It Is.” Really solid choice. I back it. I signed the petition. You should too. Our pal Zoo With Roy even threw his support behind it.
Allow me to toss another suggestion out there: the “Space Jam” theme song.
I get that it’s from a basketball movie, but imagine the disheartened looks on the faces of the opposing goalie and players as they hear that intro, that beat and then lyrics like, “To the jam, all in your face! Wassup, just feel the bass! Drop it, rock, down the room! Shake it, quake it, space KABOOM!”
They would feel so much shame. So much.
Anyone out there have any other suggestions? Let’s hear them.
|Simmonds17 on Which Philadelphia Union playe…|
|Enrico Campitelli Jr… on The Evster compares the Sixers…|
|lew on Jayson Stark on Larry Bowa, th…|
|mike on The Evster compares the Sixers…|
- New clips reveal Outkast’s Andre 3000 as Jimi Hendrix in All Is By My Side’
- Crumbling and stumbling: L&I says it doesn't know how many buildings have collapsed in Philly
- ▶ PhillyTawk: The Phluphian Dialect - YouTube
- San Francisco Mint Says Rare 1800s Gold Coins Have No Link To Thefts « CBS San Francisco
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return