Sep 16, 2011, 4:22 PM EST
This oughta be fun. The Flyers have finally named their captain for the upcoming season, placing the C exactly where everyone expected it might go, on Chris Pronger’s chest. Pronger’s A’s will be Danny Briere and Kimmo Timonen, both of whom have served as captains with their previous teams.
While the Pronger captaincy comes as no surprise given that many believed big #20 was the de facto captain both on the ice and in the locker room even while Mike Richards was wearing the C, the relatively long wait to name him after Richards was traded was more protracted than we anticipated. Hopefully this confirms the reports that Pronger will be ready to play on or near opening night.
Never afraid to be vocal, Pronger will no doubt be ready with quip after quip following each game. If you weren’t a fan of Richards’ often lifeless responses to media questions, Pronger is the antidote. However, his act can wear on some too.
Interestingly, in the wake of the trade of two “faces of the franchise” in Richards and Jeff Carter, I’m not sure I’ve heard anyone ask about experience or leadership despite the team gaining some youth and inexperience as a result of the deals (they also got some vets in Max Talbot in Jaromir Jagr). With Pronger, Briere, Timonen, plus Scott Hartnell, Talbot, Blair Betts, Braydon Coburn and others, there is probably no shortage of guys who will be willing to step up and show the younger players a veteran example as the new team takes shape.
|BenE. on Chip Kelly doesn’t belie…|
|Captain_Awesome on Why Philadelphia lost WrestleM…|
|Cuban on We’re comparing Michael…|
|2sentz on Chip Kelly doesn’t belie…|
- Prior to a doctor’s intervention, Dwight Howard was eating ‘the equivalent of 24 Hershey bars a day’ via candy and soda | Ball Don't Lie - Yahoo Sports
- To Roy Halladay, With Gratitude - The Triangle Blog - Grantland
- Roy Halladay Opens the 2010 Phillies Playoff Run With a NO-HITTER!! | The700Level
- FBI’s search for ‘Mo,’ suspect in bomb threats, highlights use of malware for surveillance - The Washington Post
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return
- Video: Hunter Pence's youth baseball instructional video is everything you imagined and more
- Your newest Sixer, Rodney Williams, once threw down pretty hard at the Gola
- Video: Drexel frat dude says f*** 23 times in intramural pregame speech for the ages