Mar 1, 2012, 9:57 PM EDT
James van Riemsdyk entered the 2011-2012 season with high hopes and great expectations, having been given a contract extension along with a larger share of the scoring responsibilities after Mike Richards and Jeff Carter were traded. His performance in the previous season’s playoffs also raised expectations. So far though, JVR probably won’t look back on this regular season with anything more than a desire to move on from it. His scoring is down, and he’s been banged up, including a concussion, and the subject of numerous trade rumors. To his credit though, he’s been working to get it on track, including the body-sacrificing play that may have knocked him out for the next month or so.
With just under 9 minutes left in the first period of the Flyers’ eventual 6-3 win over the Islanders, JVR went down to block a Milan Jurcina shot. Paul Holmgren updated his status between periods, saying he has a broken bone in his foot. Video of the play below.
|Jim on Debating the Sixers’ 201…|
|Marvin Monroe on 2014 Philadelphia Eagles sched…|
|Justin on Video: This is what an NFL pla…|
|Kelley jackson on ‘Iverson’ document…|
- DeSean Jackson releases statement, denies any gang ties
- Swaggy uPdates: Nick Young gets in a hold-me-back fight, has sneakers stolen, and celebrates a missed 3
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- St. Joe's Ron Roberts is in the dunk contest tonight; we collected his most awesome YouTube clips
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money