Feb 18, 2012, 5:40 PM EST
After Ilya Bryzgalov allowed three soft goals and was lifted in the second period of an ugly 6-4 Flyers loss at the hands of the Pittsburgh Penguins, it was safe to assume there’d be something of note in his post-game comments to reporters. Here’s the quote you’re likely to see bouncing around the Web for the rest of the weekend:
Now, that last sentence may set some Flyers fans into being even more angry with the most quoted Russian currently living in North America. Is he saying we’re the problem? Or that playing in a demanding market is the problem? Not good if so, considering no one around here likes that kind of talk, and he’s inked to here for eight more seasons.
But maybe… It’s exactly what he should be saying? Exactly what he does need to do?
Here’s the thing. As long as Bryz plays poorly on the ice, there’s really no “right” thing to say after the game. Nothing said in the dressing room will soften the blow of a highly paid player underperforming. That’s probably part of the reason the team attempted to limit his exposure earlier this season.
If he says he’s lost in the woods, we’re worried he’s soft and he’ll never come out. If he says he doesn’t want to talk, people think he’s being disrespectful. If he so much as mentions the defense, we paint him as blaming his teammates.
And, if he says he just needs to find peace so he can play better here…
Well, what’s the reaction?
Personally, I’m fine with that part of today’s response. The rest of his comments did allude to his possibly being a too-easy scapegoat today, a sentiment echoed by his teammates but not shared by most fans, including me.
Increasingly though, I don’t care what he says after losses, even if he starts blaming it solely on The700Level. All that matters is his play on the ice, which is obviously not good enough. It’s also fairly easy to see that his head is not where it needs to be, whether it’s in the mask or not. Today’s goals, particularly the first two, were soft, to be kind.
The concern now is, can he get it together this season? If not, what faith should we have beyond that? The scary part about his comment is when you let yourself wonder whether he simply can’t play with championship pressure on him.
|DIckie on Allen Iverson in latest Reebok…|
|philasopher on Why the upcoming free agency b…|
|dawkisgod on Which Philadelphia Union playe…|
|Bonsai Steve on Mosher: DeSean Jackson’s…|
- New clips reveal Outkast’s Andre 3000 as Jimi Hendrix in All Is By My Side’
- Crumbling and stumbling: L&I says it doesn't know how many buildings have collapsed in Philly
- ▶ PhillyTawk: The Phluphian Dialect - YouTube
- San Francisco Mint Says Rare 1800s Gold Coins Have No Link To Thefts « CBS San Francisco
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return