May 7, 2013, 4:42 PM EDT
They gave a valiant effort, but in the end Ilya Bryzgalov was able to hold Team USA at bay. The Flyers netminder stopped 19 of 22 shots, and a stacked Russian squad led by the New Jersey Devils’ Ilya Kovalchuk finally pulled away with two goals late in the third period for the 5-3 victory at the World Championships.
The action was back-and-forth, and often frenzied at that, but the U.S. was ultimately out-gunned. Russia held a 30-22 shot advantage, which was a bit too much for Tampa Bay goaltender Ben Bishop to overcome. Kovalchuk had a goal and assist.
Bryz had his moments, in both senses of the word. He came up large a couple of times while halting a 5-on-3, which essentially became a 5-on-2 at one point when one of his comrades came up with a broken stick. Then there was that Bryz moment where he ducked a shot, something we’ve seen before back here in the states.
I don’t know how I really feel about these plays. It seems like it would be a natural human reaction to duck out of the way of a projectile whizzing straight for your head. This time however the maneuver was accompanied by Bryzgalov helplessly flailing at the puck, which definitely adds something to the ridiculousness of it all.
>> Team USA Falls Short Against Russia [USA Hockey]
|puckstopper27 on Nick Young throws out Phillies…|
|sfsu on Snapshots: Flyers draw even in…|
|twine time on At least Evan Turner didn…|
|THOM on 2014 Philadelphia Eagles sched…|
- DeSean Jackson releases statement, denies any gang ties
- Swaggy uPdates: Nick Young gets in a hold-me-back fight, has sneakers stolen, and celebrates a missed 3
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- St. Joe's Ron Roberts is in the dunk contest tonight; we collected his most awesome YouTube clips
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money