Mar 27, 2012, 12:21 AM EDT
A 5-3 loss to the golf course-bound Tampa Bay Lightning — a game in which the Flyers were doomed largely by mental mistakes — likely had little significance in Philadelphia’s post-season seeding, and probably was not a preview of what to expect when the Stanley Cup Playoffs begin on April 11.
An injury in goal, on the other hand, could prove to be a bit more detrimental.
According to CSN’s Tim Panotch and several other scribes with access, Flyers netminder Ilya Bryzgalov was seen limping after the game. How badly? It was visible enough that virtually all of them saw it, and according to the Inq’s Sam Carchidi, X-rays were taken.
For now, GM Paul Holmgren claims there is no injury, but Carchidi says Sergei Bobrovsky will start when the Orange and Black return to action on Wednesday in Toronto.
I don’t recall a specific moment or play where it appeared Bryzgalov may have been hurt, though I flipped the channel in disgust after the Carle play. Bryz played the whole way, so perhaps it is actually nothing major.
But it is worth discussing what Bryz means to this team in net right now. Some months back, concern may have been minimal. After tonight, Bryzgalov is still 10-2-1 for the month of March, and the loss to Tampa can hardly be pinned on his play. Does anybody feel confident about this team making a run right now if he’s not back there?
Bob has a 12-9-1 record this season, with a .899 SV% and 3.03 GAA.
Whether Bryz returns over the weekend or not should be a strong indicator about the seriousness of this so-called “limp.” After the Maple Leafs on Thursday, the Flyers have Ottawa at home on Saturday afternoon, before heading west for their much-anticipated rematch with the Penguins.
|will on Cole Hamels gives the most Col…|
|FlyersFan on Wayne Simmonds on Hartsy and V…|
|FlyersFan on Jason Akeson doesn’t deserve t…|
|Shane Gostisbehere on Jason Akeson doesn’t deserve t…|
- DeSean Jackson releases statement, denies any gang ties
- Swaggy uPdates: Nick Young gets in a hold-me-back fight, has sneakers stolen, and celebrates a missed 3
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- St. Joe's Ron Roberts is in the dunk contest tonight; we collected his most awesome YouTube clips
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money