Nov 1, 2011, 8:03 AM EDT
The big Flyers story yesterday—an off day following a big weekend win—was the muzzling of goalie Ilya Bryzgalov. The quote machine’s media availability was limited to a scant amount, either by the man himself or his team. You may have noticed a lot of people getting pretty upset over it. And, as we learned in Puck Daddy’s coverage of the news, Sam Carchidi filed a complaint with the Professional Hockey Writers Association.
According to Tim Panaccio, Kevin Allen of the PHWA had a conference call with the Flyers, during which he informed them that limiting the media’s access to Bryzgalov violated the league’s media policy as outlined in the collective bargaining agreement.
Bryz (and Sergei Bobrovsky) will now be available every day, but with a time limit. No more holding court for the loquacious starter, at least for now.
In the long run, it appears yesterday was much ado about nothing. But, while the media gets its access to Bryzgalov back, it could be a while before all the ruffled feathers are smoothed over and the rift between the team and its media is bridged. The scribes made it very clear that they won’t take access decisions lightly, and when it comes to these things, they can band together in a hurry, and do so rather effectively.
Wonder what the first topic of conversation will be when the gaggle surrounds Bryz for the first time…
|Phil From Mt Airy on Nerlens Noel played 4-on-4 tod…|
|fknboz on Nerlens Noel played 4-on-4 tod…|
|Andrew M on Nerlens Noel played 4-on-4 tod…|
|Mostel on Patrick Chung’s reign of…|
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return