Nov 20, 2012, 1:02 PM EST
At first, Claude Giroux’s injury wasn’t serious.
Well — it still isn’t serious. But it might be. So he’s coming back to the U.S. for tests to make sure it isn’t. In case it is.
Here’s what’s certain: Claude Giroux was diagnosed with a minor neck injury while playing for his German club over the weekend. According to the Ottawa Sun, via Tim Panoccio, Giroux is flying back to Ottawa and then heading out to meet with a concussion specialist in Atlanta.
What was originally diagnosed as a “minor neck injury” could be worse, perhaps a concussion, though no one is actually saying that. Still, that can’t be ruled out of any head hit.
Flyers general manager Paul Holmgren told CSNPhilly.com that all he knows is that Giroux is returning for “evaluation and precaution” for what was “diagnosed” as a minor neck injury.
Berlin general manager Peter Lee told the Ottawa Sun that Giroux is being evaluated for a concussion because he was not “feeling right” after taking a high elbow to the head.
Claude Giroux tells me, “I’m fine, I’m just making sure that I am 100 percent,” with these precautionary test that will be done in ATL
— Tim Panaccio (@tpanotchCSN) November 20, 2012
Giroux missed four games last December after sustaining a concussion in a game against Dallas, when the back of his head made contact with a teammates’ knee.
Flyers fans, beat writers and probably front office personnel are all sensitive to anything that is or even sounds like a concussion.
For now, the team’s best player — and the guy Peter Laviolette calls the “best player in the world” — only has a minor neck injury. He says he’s fine. And I rather enjoy the line above, that “[it] could be worse, perhaps a concussion, though no one is actually saying that.”
Whether its anything more than the original diagnosis is a wait and see game. One would think that if they weren’t concerned, he wouldn’t be coming back. Then again, an abundance of caution can be a good thing.
Except for when it makes you wait and worry.
|ken bartlett on Biggest takeaway from Eagles S…|
|bryan on The ‘Group of Death…|
|Steve on Cowboys lose, Eagles take over…|
|CantStanzaYa on Roy Halladay places ad in Dail…|
- Roy Halladay Opens the 2010 Phillies Playoff Run With a NO-HITTER!! | The700Level
- FBI’s search for ‘Mo,’ suspect in bomb threats, highlights use of malware for surveillance - The Washington Post
- Slow motion video of a base jump going horribly wrong
- This Florida State Ball Boy Is A College Football Hero (this is amazing)
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return
- Video: Hunter Pence's youth baseball instructional video is everything you imagined and more
- Your newest Sixer, Rodney Williams, once threw down pretty hard at the Gola
- Video: Drexel frat dude says f*** 23 times in intramural pregame speech for the ages