Nov 20, 2011, 5:17 PM EST
For the second straight time against the Winnipeg Jets, the Flyers started the game in embarrassing fashion, conceding the first three goals of the night to the Jets. Scott Hartnell scored before they went to the dressing room, but the Jets came out flying in the second, notching two more before Hartnell again tallied on the power play. That’s when Flyers rookie Matt Read got hot.
By now you know the Flyers came up short, but Read’s third period heroics were a big silver lining in an otherwise forgettable night for the Orange & Black. Below, a look at Read’s third period pair, both nice illustrations of his confidence with the puck when staring down a goalie.
Watch Read notch his seventh goal of the season here, taking a Hartnell pass and firing it on net before Jets defenseman Mark Stuart could get to him.
Read followed that up with his eighth, splitting the defense and snapping off a wrister just before Zach Bogosian closed off the window.
Claude Giroux, sans his usual lineman with Jaromir Jagr on the injury shelf, collected assists on both Read goals. Hartnell had one as well, giving him a three-point night.
The Elias Sports Bureau says that Matt Read’s last five goals are the most for a Flyers rookie in a four-game stretch since Mikael Renberg did it in February of 1994. He leads all NHL rookies in goals and has the fourth most points among freshmen (13). Not bad marks for Bob McKenzie’s choice for the Calder Trophy.
Photo: James Guillory-US Presswire
|brandonphilly on Video: Danny Briere talks fond…|
|Danimal on Nick Foles gets the Sports Ill…|
|Captain_Awesome on Why Philadelphia lost WrestleM…|
|Chip Smelly on Video: Danny Briere talks fond…|
- We Found This 20-Year-Old T-Shirt In Kenya. The Internet Found The Original Owner : Planet Money : NPR
- Prior to a doctor’s intervention, Dwight Howard was eating ‘the equivalent of 24 Hershey bars a day’ via candy and soda | Ball Don't Lie - Yahoo Sports
- To Roy Halladay, With Gratitude - The Triangle Blog - Grantland
- Roy Halladay Opens the 2010 Phillies Playoff Run With a NO-HITTER!! | The700Level
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return
- Video: Hunter Pence's youth baseball instructional video is everything you imagined and more
- Your newest Sixer, Rodney Williams, once threw down pretty hard at the Gola
- Video: Drexel frat dude says f*** 23 times in intramural pregame speech for the ages