Nov 20, 2011, 5:17 PM EDT
For the second straight time against the Winnipeg Jets, the Flyers started the game in embarrassing fashion, conceding the first three goals of the night to the Jets. Scott Hartnell scored before they went to the dressing room, but the Jets came out flying in the second, notching two more before Hartnell again tallied on the power play. That’s when Flyers rookie Matt Read got hot.
By now you know the Flyers came up short, but Read’s third period heroics were a big silver lining in an otherwise forgettable night for the Orange & Black. Below, a look at Read’s third period pair, both nice illustrations of his confidence with the puck when staring down a goalie.
Watch Read notch his seventh goal of the season here, taking a Hartnell pass and firing it on net before Jets defenseman Mark Stuart could get to him.
Read followed that up with his eighth, splitting the defense and snapping off a wrister just before Zach Bogosian closed off the window.
Claude Giroux, sans his usual lineman with Jaromir Jagr on the injury shelf, collected assists on both Read goals. Hartnell had one as well, giving him a three-point night.
The Elias Sports Bureau says that Matt Read’s last five goals are the most for a Flyers rookie in a four-game stretch since Mikael Renberg did it in February of 1994. He leads all NHL rookies in goals and has the fourth most points among freshmen (13). Not bad marks for Bob McKenzie’s choice for the Calder Trophy.
Photo: James Guillory-US Presswire
|mfrey0118 on The five best/worst tweets abo…|
|frank on Jason Akeson doesn’t deserve t…|
|Mostel on Cole Hamels gives the most Col…|
|Sid on The five best/worst tweets abo…|
- DeSean Jackson releases statement, denies any gang ties
- Swaggy uPdates: Nick Young gets in a hold-me-back fight, has sneakers stolen, and celebrates a missed 3
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- St. Joe's Ron Roberts is in the dunk contest tonight; we collected his most awesome YouTube clips
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money