Feb 2, 2013, 3:26 PM EDT
Late in the first period during last night’s 3-2 Flyers
loss, Washington Capitals defenseman John Erskine knocked Wayne Simmonds out of
the game with what Keith Jones described as the flying elbow. It was clearly an
illegal play, and Puck Daddy speculates Erskine will wind up receiving a few-games
ban, although the officials amazingly did not have Simmonds’ back with any type
of penalty call on the play.
Zac Rinaldo came to Simmonds’ defense as soon as play
resumed however, which was unfortunate for Caps forward Matt Hendricks.
Rinaldo came out guns blazing, dropping Hendricks to one
knee before the producers in the truck could even get the fight on TV.
Hendricks regained his footing, but lost his footing permanently during a
flurry of rights to the back of the head/helmet – plus one more shot for good
measure on the way down.
The Flyers aren’t winning the games, but they seem to be
winning the fights with some regularity. Rinaldo joins Scott Hartnell, Tye
McGinn, and Luke Schenn as members of the club who have dropped the gloves and were
awarded the decision. Too bad this team can’t box its way to two points every
As for Simmonds, he is day-to-day, so hopefully nothing too
serious there. The hit that started it all (via Puck Daddy):
|galasso2586 on 3 Stars: Sloppy Flyers complet…|
|Marvin Monroe on 3 Stars: Sloppy Flyers complet…|
|Jason R. on Jason Akeson doesn’t deserve t…|
|that guy on Jason Akeson doesn’t deserve t…|
- DeSean Jackson releases statement, denies any gang ties
- Swaggy uPdates: Nick Young gets in a hold-me-back fight, has sneakers stolen, and celebrates a missed 3
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- St. Joe's Ron Roberts is in the dunk contest tonight; we collected his most awesome YouTube clips
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money