Nov 4, 2011, 1:45 AM EDT
Claude Giroux moved into a tie for third place in the NHL with his eighth goal on Thursday night, but credit the assist to Jaromir Jagr. The 68 car gained the zone with a head of steam, speeding behind the defense and around the net, then emerged from the corner while the New Jersey players looked on, mesmerized. Jagr slid the puck straight across the ice — right in front of the goal, between all six Devils — to a wide open Giroux for the jam.
What an amazing pairing.
But the Flyers couldn’t hold on to two leads, allowing 39 shots against one of the most anemic offenses in the NHL. Danny Briere gave them a chance to win the eventual shootout, except whether or not his goal in the extra session was legit or not was instantly up for debate.
New Jersey’s netminder was playing aggressive, meeting Briere practically at the faceoff dot. As the orange blur sped toward Jonas Hedberg, the Devils goalie seems to realize his mistake. Caught out of position, Hedberg does the only thing he can, which is flail on the ice. Briere slams on the brakes, waits until the coast is clear, and glides in for the easy goal. Take a look:
Briere described the play:
My initial reaction was he stopped. Had that been the call on the ice, it would have been almost impossible to dispute. As it turned out, the call went the Flyers’ way, and when the goal was reviewed it was just as impossible to dispute. Sure looked like he stopped though.
|bt on Matchday: Eagles linemen get y…|
|charlie d on Jayson Stark on Larry Bowa, th…|
|dawkisgod on Jayson Stark on Larry Bowa, th…|
|dawkisgod on Matchday: Eagles linemen get y…|
- New clips reveal Outkast’s Andre 3000 as Jimi Hendrix in All Is By My Side’
- Crumbling and stumbling: L&I says it doesn't know how many buildings have collapsed in Philly
- ▶ PhillyTawk: The Phluphian Dialect - YouTube
- San Francisco Mint Says Rare 1800s Gold Coins Have No Link To Thefts « CBS San Francisco
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return