Apr 10, 2011, 10:21 PM EST
We have two more regular season Flyers games in which to find either comfort or agony. That may sound a bit melodramatic, but that’s how the games have felt for the better part of at least the past month, and with the postseason looming, I don’t see us going monk on the outcomes of the final two. The Flyers have a possible playoff preview on their hands in tonight’s visit to Buffalo, a game that also has heavy implications on the overall Eastern Conference playoff picture.
The Flyers are still playing for seeding and for the pride of a first place finish, whether in the conference or the division. Things like the President’s Trophy and first place finishes don’t mean much in the shadow of the Stanley Cup, but it’s still nice to be able to look back on history and count division titles (particularly if the team also wins the Cup).
The Sabres have two games left and a one-point lead over the eighth-seeded Rangers, who have only one game remaining and could still be caught by Carolina. If the playoffs were to start today, the Flyers would be hosting Buffalo. However, the Penguins can knock the Flyers to fourth place if they win both of their remaining games and the Flyers lose one of their remaining two. Boston still has a shot at the second seed as well.
Despite being without Ryan Miller in goal, Buffalo has won three of their last four games and earned points in each of them. Jhonas Enroth, tonight’s likely starter for the Sabres, has turned some heads with wins over the Rangers, Hurricanes, and Lightning. He’ll face Flyers playoff starter Sergei Bobrovsky before presumably returning to the backup role with Miller nearly ready to play.
So who will respond to whatever call Homer barked out during the closed door meeting?
|Jason R. on The Evster compares the Sixers…|
|Webuppp on Jayson Stark on Larry Bowa, th…|
|kirk on Jayson Stark on Larry Bowa, th…|
|Tito Santantana Offt… on Allen Iverson in latest Reebok…|
- New clips reveal Outkast’s Andre 3000 as Jimi Hendrix in All Is By My Side’
- Crumbling and stumbling: L&I says it doesn't know how many buildings have collapsed in Philly
- ▶ PhillyTawk: The Phluphian Dialect - YouTube
- San Francisco Mint Says Rare 1800s Gold Coins Have No Link To Thefts « CBS San Francisco
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return