Jun 19, 2013, 9:30 AM EST
• Bobby Ryan to Philadelphia is starting to have that inevitable feel to it simply because the Cherry Hill native has been linked to the club for years. According to Tim Panaccio, the Flyers and Ducks are at it again.
The potential deal would send Braydon Coburn and this year’s 11th overall draft choice to Anaheim for Ryan. The 25-year-old winger scored 30 goals in each of his first four full seasons in the NHL, though he fell off that pace in 2013, netting 11 in 46 games.
Obviously, the Flyers would be helping themselves with a scoring winger, but they would also be creating another hole on their already depleted defensive corps.
Also, giving up their first-round pick seems a bit much given how deep the NHL draft is this season and when the Flyers are in desperate need of defensive help.
Coburn is coming off of disappointing season that ended early because of a separated shoulder, and given how well Erik Gustafsson and Oliver Lauridsen played in his absence, you could make the case he’s expendable. On the other hand, as Panotch remarks in the video below, the 11th pick is a bit much – especially considering Ryan might be a luxury for the league’s ninth-ranked offense.
What was weird about all of this however was the Inquirer’s Sam Carchidi sort of refuted the story, saying he heard otherwise earlier on Tuesday. Carchidi added the story sounded “iffy.” Maybe Paul Holmgren is trolling everybody?
• One thing’s for sure, Homer wasn’t joking around when he shut down Ritch Winter, agent for Ilya Bryzgalov.
Word got out on Tuesday that Winter had been assured by Holmgren that Bryz was safe. In spite of the rumors, the organization would not be using a compliance buyout on the remaining seven years of the netminder’s contract. Frank Seravalli for the Daily News confirmed:
Spoke to Winter. He checked with Holmgren yesterday after reports, who reassured him Bryzgalov will not be bought out after SCF.
— Frank Seravalli (@DNFlyers) June 19, 2013
This mind you was mere hours after reports emerged that the Flyers were frontrunners for Bernier. Maybe the front office had already deemed the asking price was too high. Maybe it was a smokescreen compelling the Kings to stop wasting everybody’s time with this Jake Voracek nonsense.
Holmgren put that notion to rest, along with the fairy tale that he promised anything to Bryzgalov or his agent. Tim Panaccio followed up to obtain this gem:
I didn’t assure Ritch Winter of anything. When the time comes to do our business we will do whatever is best for our hockey team.
Ilya Bryzgalov is still the best soap opera in Philly sports. Will he stay or will he go? Even Paul Holmgren doesn’t know!
• The one thing we can confirm besides this offseason being far too chaotic already (and they’ve hardly done anything) is the obvious. Per ESPN’s Pierre LeBrun, the Flyers have informed Danny Briere that they will invoke the amnesty clause after the Stanley Cup Finals conclude, deleting the final two years of his contract.
A source told ESPN.com that Briere and Paul Holmgren met last week, at which time the Flyers’ GM informed the veteran center of the team’s decision. No bitter feelings, though, as I’m told Briere feels Holmgren handled it with class.
At $6.5 million, Briere’s cap figure is the largest on the team, but his production on the ice has been severely lacking for the past two seasons, his worst in over a decade. He turns 36 this October, and has been battling an increasing number of injuries, so there was little reason to believe it would improve much.
We’ll certainly reflect further on Briere’s six seasons with the Flyers once the move is official.
|bt on Matchday: Eagles linemen get y…|
|charlie d on Jayson Stark on Larry Bowa, th…|
|dawkisgod on Jayson Stark on Larry Bowa, th…|
|dawkisgod on Matchday: Eagles linemen get y…|
- New clips reveal Outkast’s Andre 3000 as Jimi Hendrix in All Is By My Side’
- Crumbling and stumbling: L&I says it doesn't know how many buildings have collapsed in Philly
- ▶ PhillyTawk: The Phluphian Dialect - YouTube
- San Francisco Mint Says Rare 1800s Gold Coins Have No Link To Thefts « CBS San Francisco
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return