Feb 26, 2013, 4:11 PM EST
The Flyers announced they have sent a conditional fourth-round pick to the Los Angeles Kings in exchange for Simon Gagne on Tuesday. Gagne was Philadelphia’s first-round pick in 1998, spending 10 seasons in Orange & Black until he was traded to Tampa Bay in 2010.
Reports state the pick becomes a third rounder if the Flyers make the playoffs — not the most unlikely of scenarios.
The veteran left winger racked up 259 goals and 265 assists during his
original run with the Flyers, appearing in the ’01 and ’07 All Star Games along the
way. He was shipped to the Lightning ahead of his impending free agency in exchange for defenseman Matt Walker and
a fourth-round pick.
Gagne signed with the Kings in 2011, where he was
reunited with former Philadelphia teammates Mike Richards, Jeff Carter, and Justin Williams. Injury cut Gagne’s first season short, but he managed to get
his name on the Stanley Cup by appearing in four games in last year’s Finals.
He’s off to a slow start in 2013, with no goals and five
assists through 11 games. Gagne turns 33 in a few days, and has been beat up the last several years, so there’s no telling how
much he has left in the tank. He becomes a free agent at season’s end.
Gagne finished with seven goals and 10 assists in 34
regular season games last season.
Gagne was always a fan favorite, somebody who
authored many memorable moments for the city of Philadelphia. It’s cool to
have him back if for no other reason than nostalgia, but hopefully he has
something left to contribute as well. How much it actually helps the Flyers remains to be seen.
|Marvin Monroe on Coming-of-age? Sean Couturier…|
|somekat on Photo Essay: Patrick Chung wre…|
|BenE. on Coming-of-age? Sean Couturier…|
|t800m101 on Coming-of-age? Sean Couturier…|
- FBI’s search for ‘Mo,’ suspect in bomb threats, highlights use of malware for surveillance - The Washington Post
- Slow motion video of a base jump going horribly wrong
- This Florida State Ball Boy Is A College Football Hero (this is amazing)
- How A Reporter Eavesdropped On Barry Bonds's Grand Jury Testimony
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Tony Wroten made a YouTube movie about the Sixers' young rap group
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return
- Video: Hunter Pence's youth baseball instructional video is everything you imagined and more
- Your newest Sixer, Rodney Williams, once threw down pretty hard at the Gola
- Video: Drexel frat dude says f*** 23 times in intramural pregame speech for the ages