Feb 26, 2013, 4:11 PM EDT
The Flyers announced they have sent a conditional fourth-round pick to the Los Angeles Kings in exchange for Simon Gagne on Tuesday. Gagne was Philadelphia’s first-round pick in 1998, spending 10 seasons in Orange & Black until he was traded to Tampa Bay in 2010.
Reports state the pick becomes a third rounder if the Flyers make the playoffs — not the most unlikely of scenarios.
The veteran left winger racked up 259 goals and 265 assists during his
original run with the Flyers, appearing in the ’01 and ’07 All Star Games along the
way. He was shipped to the Lightning ahead of his impending free agency in exchange for defenseman Matt Walker and
a fourth-round pick.
Gagne signed with the Kings in 2011, where he was
reunited with former Philadelphia teammates Mike Richards, Jeff Carter, and Justin Williams. Injury cut Gagne’s first season short, but he managed to get
his name on the Stanley Cup by appearing in four games in last year’s Finals.
He’s off to a slow start in 2013, with no goals and five
assists through 11 games. Gagne turns 33 in a few days, and has been beat up the last several years, so there’s no telling how
much he has left in the tank. He becomes a free agent at season’s end.
Gagne finished with seven goals and 10 assists in 34
regular season games last season.
Gagne was always a fan favorite, somebody who
authored many memorable moments for the city of Philadelphia. It’s cool to
have him back if for no other reason than nostalgia, but hopefully he has
something left to contribute as well. How much it actually helps the Flyers remains to be seen.
|bt on Matchday: Eagles linemen get y…|
|charlie d on Jayson Stark on Larry Bowa, th…|
|dawkisgod on Jayson Stark on Larry Bowa, th…|
|dawkisgod on Matchday: Eagles linemen get y…|
- New clips reveal Outkast’s Andre 3000 as Jimi Hendrix in All Is By My Side’
- Crumbling and stumbling: L&I says it doesn't know how many buildings have collapsed in Philly
- ▶ PhillyTawk: The Phluphian Dialect - YouTube
- San Francisco Mint Says Rare 1800s Gold Coins Have No Link To Thefts « CBS San Francisco
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return