Mar 13, 2013, 5:30 PM EDT
They may currently own a six-game winning streak against the
Flyers dating back to last year’s playoffs, but if ever there was a time to
catch a home-and-home with the Devils, it’s now. New Jersey has been reeling ever
since they last met the Bullies, posting a 3-7-2 record after February 15, and
losing tons of ground in the Atlantic Division in the process.
It gets worse. Only one of the Devils’ three wins during
that stretch was settled without going to a shootout. And of the three teams
they defeated, two – the Buffalo Sabres and the Washington Capitals – came
against some of the worst teams in the East.
A big part of the problem has been the absence of Marty
Brodeur, who has been missing for the past nine games with a back injury. In
that period of time, New Jersey is surrendering 3.89 goals against per game.
Of course, it may seem like an opportune time to come across
these Devils. It also seemed like an opportune time to break the losing streak
when the Flyers took a 3-1 first-period lead in Newark last month. Instead,
they fell apart in the final two frames – sound familiar? – going down by a
final of 5-3.
Still, the club is looking at these games as must-win, and
the numbers are in their favor. Johan Hedberg will be in goal, along with his
4-7-2 record, .879 save percentage, and 2.97 goals against average. Plus,
Jersey’s offense hasn’t exactly been on track either, currently ranked 23rd
in the NHL with 2.42 goals per game. This club is very beatable right now.
But then the Flyers are in a vulnerable state themselves,
and looking at these games like they are must-win. Maybe, probably they are. The
time for talking about the postseason is over. It’s do or die, just as Ilya
We’ll find out what this team is made of soon enough. That
is if we haven’t already.
|bt on Matchday: Eagles linemen get y…|
|charlie d on Jayson Stark on Larry Bowa, th…|
|dawkisgod on Jayson Stark on Larry Bowa, th…|
|dawkisgod on Matchday: Eagles linemen get y…|
- New clips reveal Outkast’s Andre 3000 as Jimi Hendrix in All Is By My Side’
- Crumbling and stumbling: L&I says it doesn't know how many buildings have collapsed in Philly
- ▶ PhillyTawk: The Phluphian Dialect - YouTube
- San Francisco Mint Says Rare 1800s Gold Coins Have No Link To Thefts « CBS San Francisco
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- Just 6 days to kickoff: Video to get ready for Union opener, some "kit" talk, and #USMNT shirts
- Maurice Edu has yet to play in Philly, yet he's already cooler (and nerdier) than you #throughglass
- Man hits ridiculous halfcourt shot during West Chester U. halftime contest, but won't get his $10,000
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return