Mar 13, 2013, 5:30 PM EST
They may currently own a six-game winning streak against the
Flyers dating back to last year’s playoffs, but if ever there was a time to
catch a home-and-home with the Devils, it’s now. New Jersey has been reeling ever
since they last met the Bullies, posting a 3-7-2 record after February 15, and
losing tons of ground in the Atlantic Division in the process.
It gets worse. Only one of the Devils’ three wins during
that stretch was settled without going to a shootout. And of the three teams
they defeated, two – the Buffalo Sabres and the Washington Capitals – came
against some of the worst teams in the East.
A big part of the problem has been the absence of Marty
Brodeur, who has been missing for the past nine games with a back injury. In
that period of time, New Jersey is surrendering 3.89 goals against per game.
Of course, it may seem like an opportune time to come across
these Devils. It also seemed like an opportune time to break the losing streak
when the Flyers took a 3-1 first-period lead in Newark last month. Instead,
they fell apart in the final two frames – sound familiar? – going down by a
final of 5-3.
Still, the club is looking at these games as must-win, and
the numbers are in their favor. Johan Hedberg will be in goal, along with his
4-7-2 record, .879 save percentage, and 2.97 goals against average. Plus,
Jersey’s offense hasn’t exactly been on track either, currently ranked 23rd
in the NHL with 2.42 goals per game. This club is very beatable right now.
But then the Flyers are in a vulnerable state themselves,
and looking at these games like they are must-win. Maybe, probably they are. The
time for talking about the postseason is over. It’s do or die, just as Ilya
We’ll find out what this team is made of soon enough. That
is if we haven’t already.
|brandonphilly on Video: Danny Briere talks fond…|
|Danimal on Nick Foles gets the Sports Ill…|
|Captain_Awesome on Why Philadelphia lost WrestleM…|
|Chip Smelly on Video: Danny Briere talks fond…|
- We Found This 20-Year-Old T-Shirt In Kenya. The Internet Found The Original Owner : Planet Money : NPR
- Prior to a doctor’s intervention, Dwight Howard was eating ‘the equivalent of 24 Hershey bars a day’ via candy and soda | Ball Don't Lie - Yahoo Sports
- To Roy Halladay, With Gratitude - The Triangle Blog - Grantland
- Roy Halladay Opens the 2010 Phillies Playoff Run With a NO-HITTER!! | The700Level
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return
- Video: Hunter Pence's youth baseball instructional video is everything you imagined and more
- Your newest Sixer, Rodney Williams, once threw down pretty hard at the Gola
- Video: Drexel frat dude says f*** 23 times in intramural pregame speech for the ages