Apr 20, 2011, 12:27 AM EST
The Flyers responded in a big way following
their 1-0 loss on Thursday night. They earned a much needed 5-4 win on
home ice, evening the series at a game apiece. There was no real rhythm
to the game, as the officials apparently were getting paid per whistle
The teams were a combined 3-18 on the power play. I don’t know about
you, but I was losing my mind with all of the penalties. It’s playoff
hockey, let them play five on five. I don’t want to see a series
determined by special teams play.
A wild first period ended with the teams tied 3-3. Claude Giroux got the
Flyers going early as he stick-handled through three Sabres before
beating Ryan Miller up high. It was vintage Giroux. Things got out of
control after that as Thomas Vanek evened the score. Dan Carcillo then
punched home a rebound to put the Flyers up 2-1. Vanek and then Sekera
scored to put the Sabres up 3-2.
Bob was pulled after the third goal, giving way to Brian Boucher. JVR
closed out the first period scoring with a nice drag move in the slot
before unleashing a wrist shot which beat Miller. The up and down play
was a far cry from the tight defensive affair we saw in Game 1.
Goal scoring-wise things settled down after that. Ville Leino did
what he does and held the puck longer than you’d ever think possible. He
used a Sabre defenseman as a screen before beating Miller to the short
side. Danny Briere’s skate redirected a Scott Hartnell point shot to put
the Flyers up 5-3 heading into the third.
The Sabres, unable to take advantage of three third period power
plays, pulled to within a goal thanks to a goal manufactured by their
fourth line. Rob Niedermeyer whipped a puck across the crease, which
Cody McCormick banged home.
The Flyers clamped down after that and hung on for a crucial 5-4 win.
We’ll have lots more on the fallout of Bob being pulled, the Flyers
continued struggles on the power play (they finished just 1 of 10 with
the man advantage), and the day-to-day status of Chris Pronger.
The series resumes in Buffalo on Monday.
|brandonphilly on Video: Danny Briere talks fond…|
|Danimal on Nick Foles gets the Sports Ill…|
|Captain_Awesome on Why Philadelphia lost WrestleM…|
|Chip Smelly on Video: Danny Briere talks fond…|
- We Found This 20-Year-Old T-Shirt In Kenya. The Internet Found The Original Owner : Planet Money : NPR
- Prior to a doctor’s intervention, Dwight Howard was eating ‘the equivalent of 24 Hershey bars a day’ via candy and soda | Ball Don't Lie - Yahoo Sports
- To Roy Halladay, With Gratitude - The Triangle Blog - Grantland
- Roy Halladay Opens the 2010 Phillies Playoff Run With a NO-HITTER!! | The700Level
- Watch: The most Nick Young shot attempt in the history of Nick Young shot attempts
- Happy Black Friday: Evan Turner will pay you $500 for a $229 TV
- Shawn Andrews accuses Donovan McNabb of mistreatment, says he requested a trade
- Apparently, Darren Daulton had to stop Mitch Williams from 'attacking' Lenny Dykstra on Saturday
- This outlandish Penn State-themed Christmas light display is going to cost a lot of money
- Eagles #FlyEaglesFly team release another awesome video featuring DeSean's miracle return
- Video: Hunter Pence's youth baseball instructional video is everything you imagined and more
- Your newest Sixer, Rodney Williams, once threw down pretty hard at the Gola
- Video: Drexel frat dude says f*** 23 times in intramural pregame speech for the ages